Blankets

lawsett

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Are tortoises able to have blankets in their cages? My tortoise loves to burrow and cuddle but I can’t put that much substrate in her area for her to always do that. I was wondering if it’s safe to put a blanket or towel in her area.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hhm, all kinds of reasons why Id say not a good idea. Substrate is cheap, easy to keep moist as required by your tortoise. Blanket, doesnt hold or retain heat for a cold blooded reptile. Easily soiled by BM and urine. Threads are easily chewed on & swallowed.

I see lots of problems with no benefit really.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are tortoises able to have blankets in their cages? My tortoise loves to burrow and cuddle but I can’t put that much substrate in her area for her to always do that. I was wondering if it’s safe to put a blanket or towel in her area.
I'd also say no.

What species and size? What sort of cage?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree.
No.
I get visions of an ingested thread from an unraveling rag doing harm to the tortoises insides.
Besides. It would quickly get fouled from pee or poop.
Since tortoises are:
1) cold blooded and will not be warmed by it.
And
2) not particularly fond of soft things, I see no good reason at all.
A nice, little hut of some sort with bedding is a great place to sleep indoors.
Mine prefer leaves and mud.