Blog feedback sought

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hey guys, I'm going to post the follwing content on my blog. I'd be grateful for any feed back....

I find I don't like labeling any specific husbandry system/method as "best", as you may find a sticking point and discount the entirety of the narrative. I would tend to stick with 'optimal for me to provide optimal care' as it may be appropriate, and more in line with my own diligence to complete or continue a routine.

I see on some venues people asking, "what is the best..." and when I decompose that question for the thinking behind it, I am figuring the person will do that "best thing" and not look again at the result they are achieving. Husbandry is a 'results' based practice.

Fellow cheloniophile "Tom" at www.tortoiseforum.org has written two care sheets that describe well how to care for Leos Sulcata, & Stars and another for European Testudo. These are what the first time owner ought to read and think about, and a more experienced keeper might use them to better refine their husbandry practice.

It is much to read, more than a cereal box, about the same as an average magazine article, but no pictures. Considering the money that will be spent along with hours of time over the life of the tortoise, it's not much time at all.

Also is a link to a video on Facebook, that shows an entirely different take on the care of leopards, but also works for many other species.

The point is, you should sort out what you will actually do, what gets you over your hump, to do the husbandry. They seem very different, but in terms of result based on maintaining the animals they end up being near the same. The basic elements of care are covered. It may be one 'speaks' to you better than the other. They are all good.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Seems fair enough. What works for Tom in central California, is a bit different for Maggie in Oregon or Vlad in Pa or Chubbs in Massachusetts or Ellie May in Texas or Ray/Opo in humid Florida or me in Maryland or Len in the Northern Neck of Virginia. One has to look at the “best practises” care guide & tweak it to fit ones individual needs, location, climate & finances.

If a care guide says NEVER use sand as a substrate, but use medium orchid bark or cypress or coco coir... then don’t use sand. Go see whats easily available at your local big box store. Use that.

If a care sheet says minimum space is 8 x 4 feet, and you can only manage 7 x 3 ok.... you did your best. But at least you know that you can do better.

Anyhow, everyone needs to find a sweet spot to try to emulate the “best practices“ in enclosures, heating, lighting, substrate, soaking, food....etc.

Keep on blogging...