Boggin It!

Bunny2746

Location (City and/or State)
Panhandlle of Florida
Looks really nice! Are you building from ground up or are you burying some of the wood ? I want my husband to start on something similar in our yard but I don’t want them to dig out and escape. So the small pen now is sunk but would be much easier to build from ground up on new larger one.
I’m sure your pictures motivate many for making better homes for our turtles,thanks for sharing.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Looks really nice! Are you building from ground up or are you burying some of the wood ? I want my husband to start on something similar in our yard but I don’t want them to dig out and escape. So the small pen now is sunk but would be much easier to build from ground up on new larger one.
I’m sure your pictures motivate many for making better homes for our turtles,thanks for sharing.

I’m about 4 inches below ground but will have river rock base on inside frame. Where I live the ground is hard clay so they make forms in the clay not dig out. There are spots where I dug out the clay and made a more loaming soil. If your on a more sandy soil I would definitely godown 6-12 inches and build from there.

AJK Aquaria

Wow. Nice job dude.

So much work goes into building these things. And they're never done. Always tinkering and changing stuff...

Bog is so cool. Thought about doing something like this after reading an article a while back.

Looking forward to the finished product.

Sidenote...
Saw that fauna ad for the 3.6 GCs. Male 2 looks incredible. I'd go with him ;)

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Wow. Nice job dude.

So much work goes into building these things. And they're never done. Always tinkering and changing stuff...

Bog is so cool. Thought about doing something like this after reading an article a while back.

Looking forward to the finished product.

Sidenote...
Saw that fauna ad for the 3.6 GCs. Male 2 looks incredible. I'd go with him ;)

Thanks Adam, not quite up to your work but its coming along. Your right, I am already moving existing plants and adding new. It will never be completed even when it looks completed.

As for the Gulfs...
He has a nice group for sure but sounds like he only wants to sell by trio groups. He sent me pics of the females and they are just as good looking as the males. Sounds like he has a buyer for the 2nd male and 2 females. $800 is pretty hefty penny especially when panhandle hatchlings go for only $45-75. If they were getting Florida value I get it but right now they are not;)

AJK Aquaria

Thanks for the compliment, but my stuff is in shambles. Yours is looking very alive and colorful. Now that the weather has broke it's time to get to work. I'll be spending my summer building enclosures while everyone is partying and playing bags... Just kidding. It's great to see everything coming together. A sense of accomplishment and providing quality of life for our shelled friends makes it all worth it. Pumped to see your finished product, for sure. I'm sure it's motivating other forum members.

That price is steep. Probably why they were not sold within a day. But those ivory heads sure are nice... I actually said yesterday, out loud to my wife, that I wouldn't be buying any turtles for quite awhile. Not sure why I did that. Not sure why I'm poking around on fauna, either...

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Thanks for the compliment, but my stuff is in shambles. Yours is looking very alive and colorful. Now that the weather has broke it's time to get to work. I'll be spending my summer building enclosures while everyone is partying and playing bags... Just kidding. It's great to see everything coming together. A sense of accomplishment and providing quality of life for our shelled friends makes it all worth it. Pumped to see your finished product, for sure. I'm sure it's motivating other forum members.

That price is steep. Probably why they were not sold within a day. But those ivory heads sure are nice... I actually said yesterday, out loud to my wife, that I wouldn't be buying any turtles for quite awhile. Not sure why I did that. Not sure why I'm poking around on fauna, either...

It’s called turtle crack and I’m high on it daily:)

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX

We all suffer from faunaclassifieds addiction. You're not alone.

AJK Aquaria

Looks great.
The little enclosure for youngsters is awesome, too.

How are you doing the overhang?
What are you planning on putting in the new setup? Looks like the area you had put together for that ornate a bit back...

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Looks great.
The little enclosure for youngsters is awesome, too.

How are you doing the overhang?
What are you planning on putting in the new setup? Looks like the area you had put together for that ornate a bit back...

Thanks Adam,

I am doing 2 rows of 1 x 6 decking boards on top. My plan is to add some natural hides....heading to my uncles woods tomorrow to find a few logs. I have an area that will have a mound hide, a bridge over the over flow low lying area, I have some drift wood to add and I am adding more plants. It won’t fill out till next year but it will still look alright this year. I did replace yardage of clay in spots for more sandy soil nesting sites or for them to dig in.

I rehomed the Ornate to a buddy of mine right after I got him. I didn’t want another new setup in the house over the winter. Ornates are great but I wanted to build a group of Gulf Coasts.

Yes, this area is going from grasslands to grassy bog lands;) Lol!

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Now I wish I had come up north for box turtles and free beer just so I could say I was a part of this. Its looking really good Eric and I think I'm starting to see some genius behind the madness here. <Messes hair>