Boggin It!

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
wow , that is a beautiful pen , can't wait to see it next summer ...... great job ........ what's going in it ?

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
wow , that is a beautiful pen , can't wait to see it next summer ...... great job ........ what's going in it ?

Thanks Mark....Gulf Coast...I am also planning on adding a Flavo’s section but that is down the road. It’s getting there, next year will be a lot fuller for sure.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I bet raised here , flavomarginata ,kept in the same enclosure , given a spot to warm up , maybe a plastic cover , they could live outside here may-November .........

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I bet raised here , flavomarginata ,kept in the same enclosure , given a spot to warm up , maybe a plastic cover , they could live outside here may-November .........

I talked with Chris and a couple guys that work with them and they think they are as hardy as Gulf Coasts. In fact one guy said his were out and about on a snowy day. Like you, I think they would be just fine in the spring, summer, and early fall months....just not sure if they could brumate during the winter outdoors. However, many believe they are closer to Terrapene than with Cuora. I plan on building a greenhouse/ heated shed next year and I was going to house them there in the winter time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is absolutely beautiful! Wish I had the wherewithal to do something like this.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I talked with Chris and a couple guys that work with them and they think they are as hardy as Gulf Coasts. In fact one guy said his were out and about on a snowy day. Like you, I think they would be just fine in the spring, summer, and early fall months....just not sure if they could brumate during the winter outdoors. However, many believe they are closer to Terrapene than with Cuora. I plan on building a greenhouse/ heated shed next year and I was going to house them there in the winter time.

you know Eric , it came to my mind today for some reason , but I wonder if the fact that they were seen out on a snowy day is not an indication they cannot survive our winters without help ? the box turtles we keep , if they're not buried and were active in 30-40 degree temps they would most likely be having a problem .......... even these northern water turtles are in the water when it's snowing , if they're out and about on land it would be highly unusual and I would assume they had a problem also .........

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
you know Eric , it came to my mind today for some reason , but I wonder if the fact that they were seen out on a snowy day is not an indication they cannot survive our winters without help ? the box turtles we keep , if they're not buried and were active in 30-40 degree temps they would most likely be having a problem .......... even these northern water turtles are in the water when it's snowing , if they're out and about on land it would be highly unusual and I would assume they had a problem also .........

You know you make a great point Mark and I completely agree with you. In fact your points crossed my mind too but there were only 2 out of the rest of his group out in about...the rest were dug in and sounds like they all handled it fine. I know Chris has one of his big Panhandles that will brumate in the pond during the winter...I just can't believe Flavo's would be hardy enough to handle our winters. I would think they would be more similar to Bauri's. Definitely an interesting topic and I wouldn't mind getting a clearer perspective from Leone on the matter.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I was advised by a wildlife rehabber to not hibernate my gulf coasts here in north east ohio. Though I know others in similar climates do it.