Bonding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
What are some ways I can increase bonding with my sullys? They always seem afraid of me and hide when I go out and see them. What can I do?

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
We speak to ours and take small pieces of kale turnip collards ect and offer it by hand before feeding during soaks ill stroke under Tanks chin and the lil guy loves it.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
How old are your sullys? I talk to mine. I also handle mine a lot. But from the first day I got her.

LunaLupus

5 Year Member
Anytime I work with Tiny I come bringing food. He loves the food, so he's learning that I'm a good thing. :D

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
Talking and holding is a good way for them to get used to you. But be careful to not restrict their movements. let them go where they want to go. otherwise they could stress out. just being in plain sight of them a lot worked well for me. I'd pick mine up, carry them outside and then watch them eat in the yard and run around for about 30 minutes each day. stay within a few feet and they will learn to like your company haha

schmodygirl

5 Year Member
mesa, az
We have handled and talked to ours since we got them. They come to us as soon as we get near their housing. They love to have their heads touched and their shells rubbed. They are better then any dog I have ever had.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
I did the same as everyone else, bribery. My Sullies LOVE cactus pads, so in order for them to have some they have to take it from my hand.
I first take them out of their pen and I sit on the ground near them. I take a piece of chopped up cactus pad and place it between us. After they eat the 1st piece I would take another piece and hold it out at arms length. In order to get more they have to come closer to me and get it. And with each piece I hold it closer to me. I also am talking to them the whole time. I have taught my torts to associate me with their treats ie -cactus pad, prickly pear fruit and hibiscus flowers. The only way to get some is eating from my hand. This has worked for me with all my pets.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Thanks these are some great ways that will help. Kresh is 2 and Lola is about a year and a half. I hope I'm not to late to bond with them.

Seejai

5 Year Member
North Dakota
I handle mine all the time and now she doesn't hide in her shell when I hold her. I let her crawl on my lap and stomach when I read and now she sticks out her head when I rub the top of it, it's hilarious.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. Time. Almost all of them become more outgoing, interactive and fearless with age.
2. Hand feeding. Works every time. :)
3. Proximity. The more they see you in and around their enclosure, the more they desensitize to you and start to view you as less of a potential threat. I used to pull up a chair, rest my feet on the edge of the enclosure and just hang out with them for hours. Some times I'd read a magazine, or even nap under a shade tree with them nearby.

Even if you do nothing but go about your business, they will settle down and become more interactive in time.

ChuckandAsh

5 Year Member
I was wondering the same thing when I first got Odyss (my tortoise) he would hide in his shell when ever I would reach my hand near him now he's not so bad. He eats out of my hand and he even climbed on my shoe at the park one time. He's so cute. He sometimes climbs on my hand when I put it next to him in his enclosure.
But try talking to it and hand feeding it and letting it get to know you. Being a baby it is instinct that they fear everything because everything in the wild I'm sure would eat it. So just let it get use to you so it knows your not gonna eat it.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
A quick question, I was wondering can you over hold a new Sulcata. Today they are 4 weeks old. When I hold them they don't hide they just run around in my hands. I take them out to soak them 2 times a day and then for a 1 hour session in the sun. Where I feed them and talk to then most of the time. I really don't want them to be over stressed.
Thanks for any advice,

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
When I first got mine like the 2nd day the would eat from my hand! Now if I put my hand in the enclosure the come to me! I have only had mind for about a month.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
After they associate you with the provision of food, the rest is easy. Some will run towards you at top tortoise speed when they see you around, which often surprises my guests. Some will associate this with all people, but I see a tendency to respond more to those of us who actually habitually give them food/treats. Most other folks are cautiously inspected or outright ignored/tolerated. I have had folks from the power company come in to check stuff for their duties that were mainly ignored, but every once in a while an animal may ram at an ankle, so the guys know to watch out now.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Thanks for all the replies. I guess over time they will get more use to me. I'll try talking to them more and hand feeding. Hope that helps! Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.