? About multiples

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
As some of you may know I got my little guy Levi about a month ago and now I am hooked (lined and sinkered too ;)) and I know that I want at least three sullys. My question is should I get the other two soon so that they can be socialized and grow up with Levi? I'm planing on a much larger set up to be finished probably the begining of January, would it be best to introduce them then so they are all in a new place at once with no individual territory already established?

I don't want to do anything that would stress Levi or potential adopted siblings out.

I suppose I could just get an older pair in a few years once I know Levi's sex but honestly I'd feel cheated at not having that early bonding/socializing time (well and missing out on the baby cuteness :D).

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they live so long.. that getting or rescuing, one or two in need of new homes.. you have plenty of time to bond.
wether raised together or in a group later... be prepared to house them all seperately.. it may work, it may not.
You will also need a huge yard or pasture to give them plenty of space.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Laura said:
they live so long.. that getting or rescuing, one or two in need of new homes.. you have plenty of time to bond.
wether raised together or in a group later... be prepared to house them all seperately.. it may work, it may not.
You will also need a huge yard or pasture to give them plenty of space.

Good point (about how long they live) and I am equipped for the possibility that I will have to raise them separately...we have about four acres of semi-pasture land here in SC that I think will clean up nicely for torts as well as way tons more than that in MI with a heated barn...so wherever my sullys and I end up they will be well housed.

As for adopting I've tried to look into that but all the places I've found links to either the links don't work or the sites say they have no torts, which is actually great! I just wouldn't know where to look to help if some-tort needed it.

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
ShadowRancher said:
Good point (about how long they live) and I am equipped for the possibility that I will have to raise them separately...we have about four acres of semi-pasture land here in SC that I think will clean up nicely for torts as well as way tons more than that in MI with a heated barn...so wherever my sullys and I end up they will be well housed.

As for adopting I've tried to look into that but all the places I've found links to either the links don't work or the sites say they have no torts, which is actually great! I just wouldn't know where to look to help if some-tort needed it.

I've been corresponding with the woman who runs the long island rescue (I can't recall if it's a tort rescue or reptile) but she's always got torts.. You should google it.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Rescue's are good but some asks for way to much information, more than a shelter asks for. I don't mind sharing information but somethings should not be asked.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To answer you original question, Ana, I don't think it really matters. You can raise them together or you can throw some together when they are older. Most of the time it will work out just fine, unless you end up with two males as they approach adulthood. Then you will have to separate them after spending all that time raising them. This is what I had to do with my trio, Scooter, Bert and Deloris. Personally, I prefer to raise my own. Then I get the joy and satisfaction of watching them grow and prosper under my care and I just think its neat to be able to say that I raised them from tiny hatchlings. Plus I know they have been fed and cared for properly this way. I also have a couple that were given to me (sort of rescued) and I love them too. They had been poorly cared for and raised all wrong and its been fun watching them come around, get healthy, and start showing their personalities.

Basically, you can't go wrong either way, especially since you have plenty of space to house them as adults too. Either way you go, I think you are in for decades of enjoyment.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
JLSchmittou said:
I've been corresponding with the woman who runs the long island rescue (I can't recall if it's a tort rescue or reptile) but she's always got torts.. You should google it.

Her name is Julie Maguire and it's a turtle and tortoise rescue. Try: http://www.turtlerescues.org/

Texastort

10 Year Member!
Jacqui said:
JLSchmittou said:

Her name is Julie Maguire and it's a turtle and tortoise rescue. Try: http://www.turtlerescues.org/

Agreed with what all have said. These are animals and you never know how they will interact with each other. It might be good for years, and then all at once change. I have 5 in a large yard, and they all get along great, except for the occasional male on male mating, they don't even seem to notice each other. They do however have their own "areas" of the yard, kind of strange but fun.

I got two from Julie, and she is the best! Highly recommend TRLI!

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I wouldn't have more sulcata than you have room/resources to house them separately during winter when they're adults. If you have what you need to house 2 torts separately, get two. Room for 3? 4? 5?

As for the particular rescue being mentioned, don't be upset if they won't adopt out to you. Everyone who knows/works with this rescue has nothing but wonderful things to say about them and I won't disagree, but they only adopt to southern homes... and South Carolina is probably too far north for them to consider you. I do know that Louisville, KY, a location with very similar average high/low temperatures, was too far "north" to garner a response when I asked.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Thank you, everyone, for all the wonderful advice. It has definitely given me food for thought.
I don't know if I'm ready for an adult just yet, especially a potentially unhealthy rescue that will need a lot of love. I think I'd rather let my husbandry skills grow with Levi for now...besides I realized I have this silly notion that my first sulcata should be my oldest (lord knows where that came from :)).

I guess I'll just wait see what happens for now. I'm going to a show in a couple weeks with my brother, maybe I'll find somebody there I like or I'll wait for a member to have hatchlings.

M

Maggie Cummings

Julie also won't adopt a female Sulcata to anyone who has a male and visa versa. She very particular who she adopts her Sulcata to...

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
maggie3fan said:
Julie also won't adopt a female Sulcata to anyone who has a male and visa versa. She very particular who she adopts her Sulcata to...

Yeah I looked at her site earlier today and I think I'd be off the list just because I'd have to be honest and tell her that while I don't know if I'll be able to yet I would do just about anything to move back to Michigan except go jobless ;)
Which probably excludes me on general principles.

I mean who would voluntarily move there sheesh :D

Status
Not open for further replies.