Boris & Doris are only eating purple veggies! What do i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abeck

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ok, I'm loosing my mind! I have 2 russian torts, BOTH of them get their spring mixes and only eat the purple colored stuff! They do eat a bit of dandelion leaves, but mostly purple leafy stuff. It got to the point where they never ate anything else, it was all wasted. So i've only been getting them raddicci and, i forget the other one. This can't be healthy for them. I've also noticed one of them is peeing/pooping white creamy substance. Is this normal? Please help with any info, thanks!

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
College Station, TX
The white stuff is fine and normal. You might have to find a mix without the purple cabbage, as they'll eat t when they're hungry for sure. Not knowing your feeding habits there's a chance you're giving them too much at a time. If there's enough such that they can get their fill on the cabbage then you might be giving them too much overall. Give them food for only 20 mins and take the rest away.

abeck

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thank you. I do feed them about 1 good handful of fresh greens twice a day. They don't seem too chunky, just the perfect weight. So i'll reduce the amount. Sad, since they are so adjusted to their schedule, they're the most predictable creatures with their biological clock. They're up and out for heir meals every time!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
abeck, if you want to feed them twice a day cut down what they get at each meal and leave out the purple stuff. (I know, I know they love it). They will start to eat the green stuff when they get hungry then give them just a tiny bit of the purple stuff to help balance their meals. Oh and that white stuff is urates. It is what happens when they clean out their systems of extra calcium and minerals. So yes that is normal and a good thing.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I feed mine 1/4 cup per tort once a day, then I add a little extra to make sure everyone is getting enough. Send the food through a food processor so it is in tiny pieces, and omit the purple lettace for a while until they eat everything else. Also add in some endive, escrole, hibsicus, holyhock, grape vines, red leaf, green leaf, romaine, squash, a little tomato, pumpkin (treats only), dandelion, etc. mix it good after chopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.