Boston Fern Quick Query

Kelly.324

Location (City and/or State)
Durham UK
Hi, just wondering if I can place a Boston fern in my tortoise table for some cover/decor?

I know the tortoise table says it’s safe to eat so I’m guessing it’s ok? But will the plant die? Also, I’ve had the plant a couple of months but have not repotted it since I bought it but I’ve not used any fertilisers on it at all, thus is it safe to put in the enclosure?

Thank you

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Thank you, I didn’t realise it was that long! I’ll repot as soon as possible and then try to keep the plant alive long enough to be able to put it in the table [emoji23]

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There are indeed nursery stores that sell organic cat grass, and other edible plants like squash seedings, etc. I've used them often when I am impatient for the waiting period. I agree with @TriciaStringer characterization of the rule of thumb.

Many plants are treated with systemic chemicals that persist in the plant tissue, most of those are applied to the soil for root uptake. They may also be applied as a foliar, that drips into the soil for further uptake or as a residue.

So the re-potting essentially turns off the root uptake of those chemicals that may be in the soil, while the six month to a year is a rough gauge to offer time for the chemicals in the plant tissue to break down. Plants don't defecate (no kidding right?), but the chemicals that are used do breakdown and loose potency over time.

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Thank you, I’ll try to source some organic stuff from near me, not sure I’ll have much look mind, so hopefully I’ll be able to keep the plant alive for another few months haha!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Wow still living after 2 months. I gave up on ferns long ago. At 2 months they were definitely going backwards

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Keep watching for stores to put out their vegetable plants. My grocery store has a big shelf outside the store where they place plants like squash, cucumber, etc. for early spring planting. These plants would not have been treated with systemics and would be safe to put into the tortoise enclosure.

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Keep watching for stores to put out their vegetable plants. My grocery store has a big shelf outside the store where they place plants like squash, cucumber, etc. for early spring planting. These plants would not have been treated with systemics and would be safe to put into the tortoise enclosure.

Thanks, I’m in the UK and I’ve not heard of supermarkets doing that, however, I’ll have a look at down the market and at some farm shops for similar things. Thanks I hadn’t thought of it :)

iristhomas1299

United State
Boston ferns need to be replanted from time to time, just like any other indoor plant, to keep their remarkable and rich appearance. Boston fern transplantation procedures. Water the plant in Step 1. Step 2: Remove the Boston fern from its packaging. 3. Untie the roots and, if desired, divide your sizable Boston fern. 4. Place the fern in the container.