Bought 2 hardy hibiscus syriacus plants - how long to wait before feeding? + red hibiscus in canada?

leoturt

Location (City and/or State)
Western Canada
A week ago I bought them from separate garden stores (both plants are around 16 inchs tall) but the company the plants come from are both 'Proven Winners'. I heard it's almost impossible to find organic hibiscus.
How long should I wait? 6 months? (in which case there will probably be now flowers) 12 months? Should I repot? And there doesn't seem to be any of the white fertilizer things in the pots.

Also, does anyone know where to buy organic (hopefully red) hibiscus in canada?? hopefully they ship the small size plants of it. I looked at nurseries around my area but none seem to have it. Of course they may have it in stock sometime later.
The ones I have right now are the tall narrow space saving type, one is white and the other is pink. I want to add a reddish/orange colored hibiscus plant that's also narrow, is there such a thing?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A week ago I bought them from separate garden stores (both plants are around 16 inchs tall) but the company the plants come from are both 'Proven Winners'. I heard it's almost impossible to find organic hibiscus.
How long should I wait? 6 months? (in which case there will probably be now flowers) 12 months? Should I repot? And there doesn't seem to be any of the white fertilizer things in the pots.

Also, does anyone know where to buy organic (hopefully red) hibiscus in canada?? hopefully they ship the small size plants of it. I looked at nurseries around my area but none seem to have it. Of course they may have it in stock sometime later.
The ones I have right now are the tall narrow space saving type, one is white and the other is pink. I want to add a reddish/orange colored hibiscus plant that's also narrow, is there such a thing?
Decorative plants are grown with systemic pesticides. It can take a year for them to dissipate.

The white bits aren't fertilizer. That is perlite. Its meant to conserve water and keep the soil from compacting.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, “Proven Winners” is a massive plant producing nursery that ships plants in bulk to many many garden centers & big box stores all over. Looks like to Canada as well. I doubt you will find an “organic” hibiscus since there really isnt a market for organic ornamentals. Try ETSY, maybe someone more local is raising them.

I would repot your new plants. Take them out, wash all the unknown soil & stuff off, & repot in clean fresh “organic” pesticide fertilizer free soil. Hopefully it will soon takeoff, & flower.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Maro2Bear gave you the best advice...I have abt 100 Rose of Sharon bushes/trees because the leafs and flowers are great food...Rinse off the root system really good...and plant it in the ground...RofS is a hybrid Hibiscus that can withstand freezing...you could also plant grapes...leafs are good food...099.JPG
and the plants are really pretty107.JPG

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
I tried growing hibiscus indoor before, which is the only way to pass winter in Canada... Unless you have a green house to keep humidity high and sunlight strong, it mighy not be able to last for more than two or three years. :( Insects, root rot... You may need a place to be able to hose it down from time to time...

leoturt

Western Canada
I tried growing hibiscus indoor before, which is the only way to pass winter in Canada... Unless you have a green house to keep humidity high and sunlight strong, it mighy not be able to last for more than two or three years. :( Insects, root rot... You may need a place to be able to hose it down from time to time...
Which part of Canada do you live? I live on the west coast, and during winter the coldest it gets is like -3 or -4 celcius. Would that still be bad?

KdeeA

5 Year Member
From what I have read, if you don’t live in temperate climate all year, it is good to plant hibiscus in a pot so it can be outside and get sun when it can and be brought in for the winter where it won’t be exposed to freezing temps.

leoturt

Western Canada
From what I have read, if you don’t live in temperate climate all year, it is good to plant hibiscus in a pot so it can be outside and get sun when it can and be brought in for the winter where it won’t be exposed to freezing temps.
Even if it's hardy rose of sharon and it doesn't go below -4 C in winter?

Last edited:

leoturt

Western Canada
EDIT to my original post:
My 2 plants are both hardy rose of Sharon, not hibiscus. Apparently rose of Sharon are more survivable in the winter than hibiscus.

KdeeA

5 Year Member
Even if it's hardy rose of sharon and it doesn't go below -4 C in winter?
That I don’t know. I’m not a very good gardener as is ? That is just what I have seen in my search to grow my own Hibiscus

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Is there such thing as a rose of Sharon that's like all red? I can't seem to find one like that, only hibiscus like brilliant or red dragon.
I have purple...white with red centers and solid white...I've never seen a red one...my tortoises like the purple ones the best...but eat all colors without hesitating...
...and I have one bush that blooms red, white and blue...but this isn't a dark red...
109.JPG

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Which part of Canada do you live? I live on the west coast, and during winter the coldest it gets is like -3 or -4 celcius. Would that still be bad?

Anywhere even hinting at being near freezing is too cold. 40 degrees farenheit is likely too cold as I've seen ice/frost here as high as 38 degrees. These are basically tropical plants.

leoturt

Western Canada
Would it completely die in the winter and not regrow the following spring?

leoturt

Western Canada
Anywhere even hinting at being near freezing is too cold. 40 degrees farenheit is likely too cold as I've seen ice/frost here as high as 38 degrees. These are basically tropical plants.
Would the rose of Sharon completely die and not regrow then if it gets near freezing?

L

LasTortugasNinja

Rose of Sharon can handle freezing. I have them in Utah. According to local nurseries, they can withstand temps down to -20 degrees F.

leoturt

Western Canada
I have purple...white with red centers and solid white...I've never seen a red one...my tortoises like the purple ones the best...but eat all colors without hesitating...
...and I have one bush that blooms red, white and blue...but this isn't a dark red...
View attachment 294712
Good to know, thanks! I'll attempt to find and buy a purple rose of Sharon to add to my collection. I'm considering adding hibiscus red dragon as well, which obviously won't withstand winter but that's expected. It will be my first true hibiscus. I just really want a red hibiscus for my leopard tort.