Box turtle egg not moving

brandilfly22

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I have a box turtle egg in incubator. Humidity 80 and temperature 82-86. I spray warm water twice a day to moisten the egg. It’s day 59. Last week I candled the egg and saw movement! This week I candled and I can’t see movement anymore. I’m fearful the embryo has passed. I still see veins and a shadow at the top, yoke at bottom. Should I wait 100 days or is no movement a given sign that it has passed? This is my first time. Be kind please.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
I would stop moistening it and just leave it be. I just had five hatch a couple days ago at days 60 and 61. I kept candling them like you did and would get worried about no movement sometimes but you really just have to leave them be and they'll be fine. I'm sure yours will hatch within the next few days or a week or two.

On a side note, I realized that I should stop moistening them around days 30-40 of incubation. I continuously moistened my first two a few times a week (the substrate and moss, not the actual eggs) and they both split and got maggots at day 49ish (they were fertile and unfortunately the small turtles died because of the split and maggots).

For my five I just hatched, I stopped moistening around day 30 and they turned out great. Just my experience. Post pics if it hatches!