Box turtle enclosure ideas?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Hello, I was wondering if people could send me pictures of their indoor and outdoor box turtle enclosures. I may be adopting a Boxturtle in need :) but I don't know much about the kind of enclosures they need. What size and enclosure, temperatures indoor and out, etc. I do plan on doing research but some pictures of it enclosures would help a lot. Thank you!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Box turtles need cool down, so night heat is not required and could be bad for them. They are sometimes refered to as semi-aquatic and if you use mine as an example I would almost say some of them think they are water turtles, lol. They love their water time, so you need a constant water source for drinking and swimming. Lots of hiding places and plants are great for them as they like to hide most of the time. They will venture out in the early morning or early evening as the sun is coming up or going down, but they do not spend much time out in the sun when it gets above 85 - 90 outside so plenty of shade is a must. My advice, buy lots of bushy or viney type plants. Squash, eggplant, zuchinni, cherry tomatoes, etc.., will not only provide lots of cover, but also food when they start growing fruit.
We actually have our adults in a wild grown, 100% organic veggie garden. The soil is fertilized with the dead plants from the previous year that we mulch and plow back into the soil at the end of each growing season.
Indoors, I keep babies in a 29 long with pasture hay mix seeds sprouting all over and juveniles are in a 6' x 2.5' turtle table planted with small, inexpensive house plants from Home Depot. Small Ivy's and ferns and some succulants like ice plants. I use protein powder bottles (they are huge) cut in half as hides. I bury them to provide cover as well as an upper deck for the turtles to climb on. Terra cotta saucers provide water dishes and red tupper ware lids for food. I find that babies and juveniles will eat their veggies more readily when served on a red dish. Go figure.