Box turtle ID

capitan

Hello, I would like your help to identify which kind of box turtle is this. I know that it is a box turtle by this post on SE (link) but I would like more specific info.

Background: I found this turtle in a terrain next to my house, it's living in my backyard but I'm worried that my hometown weather isn't near perfect for him/her (I live in Celaya in case you want to look the weather). It's very shy so I'm not able to count the number of toes on its hind legs, but I hope these photos are useful.

Thanks!

IMG_20151011_133500269.jpg IMG_20151011_133517140_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20151017_152053.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20151017_152116.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator:

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Interestingly dark specimen. Not sure which of the T. carolinas that is. Do you have a length measurement for it? He looks quite big.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry, but this is NOT a box turtle. It is some species of mud/musk turtle...in other words, a water turtle. But to be very sure, let's send a shout-out to one of our water turtle experts - @Anthony P and @theTurtleRoom they should be able to tell you for sure. in the meantime, place him in some water and see if he swims.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All of you box turtle experts out there, take a very close look at the face of this turtle in the first picture. Not a box turtle.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Oh Yvonne is so right. The scutes on the carapace and plastron are not those of a box turtle. She has such a good eye for these things.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, I did see the link. And they are wrong. It's totally obvious from looking at the head/face of the turtle (what I can see of it) that it is a mud turtle.

capitan

@SarahChelonoidis @Yvonne G so should I post a new thread in another forum? And then what should I do with this little guy meanwhile? We don't have many lakes/rivers around so I'm not sure why he should be around

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Where are you? That looks like a Mexican box turtle. They are more aquatic hence the webfeet.
Terrapene nelsoni klauberi

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
or the Aquatic or Coahuilan box turtle also from Mexico

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
The abdominal scutes on the plastron and the vertebral scutes on the carapace don't look right for any box turtle species I'm familiar with.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The abdominal scutes on the plastron and the vertebral scutes on the carapace don't look right for any box turtle species I'm familiar with.

It is definitely a Mexican box turtle, most likely Terrapene nelsoni klauberi. I neglected to check the link at first
and did not realize the questioner was in Mexico. It may be a female ranging far from a water source to lay eggs.
Or it may have been translocated. But you can google it. The pictures are unmistakable.
It has the hinged plastron of the box turtles.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
It is definitely a Mexican box turtle, most likely Terrapene nelsoni klauberi. I neglected to check the link at first
and did not realize the questioner was in Mexico. It may be a female ranging far from a water source to lay eggs.
Or it may have been translocated. But you can google it. The pictures are unmistakable.
It has the hinged plastron of the box turtles.

But look how large the abdominal scutes on the plastron are - just like Kinosternon. Are there similar box turtle plastrons?

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
But look how large the abdominal scutes on the plastron are - just like Kinosternon. Are there similar box turtle plastrons?

I think you and Yvonne may be right. Excuse me while I climb back into my shell.
I was sure at first now not so. The mud and musks always seem flabby to me.
Wish I could see the face better.

Last edited:

capitan

@domalle @SarahChelonoidis -First of all, thanks for all the help. Sorry I didn't stated it clearer but yes, I'm located in Mexico but really far away from the northern area, so I think it was trans-located somehow.

It's really shy and the moment it feels threatened, it just encloses in its shell, so I'm not able to take a better picture of its face but I'll try another one. Do you think some other detail that I could try to get a picture that could be helpful?

JennK

This looks to me to be a very large eastern mud turtle. To my knowledge, they are not native to mexico, and are listed as endangered in a few states here. They are semi aquatic and require shallow water kto swim in. This being said- I am by no means an expert and highly suggest you do some research of your own as to what turtle are native to your specific area and come to your own conclusion as to what should be done with him. However, I personally would give his shell some attention as it looks very dry and I would not release him until I knew 100% he belongs there.

JennK

A good picture of the neck and face may help in identifying him. Though.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
@domalle @SarahChelonoidis -First of all, thanks for all the help. Sorry I didn't stated it clearer but yes, I'm located in Mexico but really far away from the northern area, so I think it was trans-located somehow.

It's really shy and the moment it feels threatened, it just encloses in its shell, so I'm not able to take a better picture of its face but I'll try another one. Do you think some other detail that I could try to get a picture that could be helpful?

Roger Barbour has a labeled specimen #320 of Terrapene nelsoni klauberi in the University of Kentucky collection
that looks just like your third and fourth picture right down to the dramatic webbed feet.
A specimen #319 Terrapene coahuila that looks similar as well.
But I was in error.
SarahChelonoidis clinched it for me when she directed my attention to the abdominal scutes on the plastron.