Box Turtle Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I hope this doesn't sound too naive but... Are the box turtles that people on the forum keep as pets the same as the ones we have all over the place here in Upstate NY? Usually orange & black w/red eyes? (Northeastern Box Turtles)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Those beauties would be the Eastern box turtles, so yes they would be included along with several other types found in various locations across the USA and Mexico, too. :cool:

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Thanks Jacqui. I used to see A LOT of them about 20yrs ago when I used to quad in the woods behind my parent's house, but I don't see nearly as many of them nowadays. So sad! :(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think that is pretty true all over. :( With driving around the country on the highways and such, I have come across a few areas still where there are a lot of them still... of course most of them are roadkills that I see. :(

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Growing up, I had three-toed box turtles (T. carolina triunguis), which are native to Missouri and surrounding areas. They are similar to your eastern boxies (T. carolina carolina), except they are a bit smaller and have only three toes on each hind foot (hence the name). These used to be very common in the pet trade - perhaps the most common type of box turtle encountered in captivity - but like with many other types of turtles and tortoises, over-collecting has necessitated imposing restrictions to protect them. This, by the way, has resulted in an increase in their price, which is a good thing from the standpoint of the turtles, since that helps ensure they will get better care once acquired. There are also a few other subspecies of this common box turtle, as well as the ornate (T. ornata, which is native here in Colorado, and more carnivorous than T. carolina), the spotted (T. nelsoni), and the Coahuilan (T. coahuila).

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Years ago, when we first moved here, we were four houses on this block surrounded by woods. My kids were little and we'd go hiking all the time. There were so many Eastern's here. Now that it's so built up, you hardly see any. When we go hiking, we would have to go very early in the AM or late afternoon to see any. I've never seen any red in color here, only the yellow ones. My next box turtle, I'm getting a high red one. They are so spectacular looking. I love them.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Terry I don't think that I've ever seen one of the yellow variety. I remember looking at their faces, when I was little, and being amazed by how much they looked like red tail hawks. I think it was the red eyes that made them look so predatory. Ya know what other turtle I think I used to see a lot of as a kid but don't see anymore--Spotted Turtles. (Hope that's the right name)

terryo said:
Years ago, when we first moved here, we were four houses on this block surrounded by woods. My kids were little and we'd go hiking all the time. There were so many Eastern's here. Now that it's so built up, you hardly see any. When we go hiking, we would have to go very early in the AM or late afternoon to see any. I've never seen any red in color here, only the yellow ones. My next box turtle, I'm getting a high red one. They are so spectacular looking. I love them.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You mean the Spotted water turtles? I've never seen any of those here any more either. There is a big pond near me that narrows down and then empties into the bay. Where the narrow part is, it becomes brackish waters, and there are lots of Diamond Backs there. You can see them basking on logs around the waters edge. Very pretty turtles. We have so many ponds here with Eastern Painted's too. In the Spring we have to stop and let them pass on the roads, as they are all looking to nest. And of course, the Red Ear Sliders are all over the ponds here. People just dump them when they get too big. Little by little they are pushing out the Eastern Painted turtle.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Yes, I meant the spotted water turtle. I'm guessing that they're almost gone from around here now. I did see a lot of snapping turtles this summer. I always see a lot of medium sized ones (8"-10") but this year I saw some real monsters! Unfortunately the majority of them were dead on the highway. One thing I'll NEVER understand is how so many turtles get hit by vehicles, especially on the back roads. They're slow moving, easy to see, and easily avoided. We sometimes keep track of how many we pull over and save... This was a slow year... maybe 15 or so.

terryo said:
You mean the Spotted water turtles? I've never seen any of those here any more either. There is a big pond near me that narrows down and then empties into the bay. Where the narrow part is, it becomes brackish waters, and there are lots of Diamond Backs there. You can see them basking on logs around the waters edge. Very pretty turtles. We have so many ponds here with Eastern Painted's too. In the Spring we have to stop and let them pass on the roads, as they are all looking to nest. And of course, the Red Ear Sliders are all over the ponds here. People just dump them when they get too big. Little by little they are pushing out the Eastern Painted turtle.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Aren't they pretty much gone from much of their former populations in New York? What does "upstate New York" mean? I'm not questioning your findings, just curious as to how far north they still are in New York.

Here's a range map. Are you north of the shaded area?
rangetwo.jpg

Here's another one that shows two adjunct populations in the north and west part of the state.
RangeMaps-EasternBoxTurtleRange.gif

By the way, we'd all LOVE to see some pictures of your local box turtles next time you see one (or lots)!

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Hey Steve,
What New Yorkers call "upstate NY" is usually different from what the rest of the nations calls "upstate NY". To New Yorkers, and Terri can attest to this, if you live anywhere north of The City you're considered an upstater. I live in Orange County which is about 50mi northwest of NYC. This isn't anywhere near Buffalo, Syracuse, or the upper portion of NY. Sooo... to make a long story short... That shaded area is within the boundaries of where I live. I will definitely get a couple of pics of box turtles for you but this late in the summer they get kinda hard to find.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
That's interesting, so there's "NYC" and "upstate NY"!

Tempest

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, OH
supremelysteve said:

According to the city folk, sure, but the Adirondacks and the real "North" are what's really upstate. Rochester/Buffalo (upper western) etc, are "Western," Corning, Canandaigua and the Finger Lakes (lower western) are "Southern Tier." It's all subject to where you're from, but people from the West will get annoyed if you refer to their area as "upstate."

Tempest said:
supremelysteve said:

According to the city folk, sure, but the Adirondacks and the real "North" are what's really upstate. Rochester/Buffalo (upper western) etc, are "Western," Corning, Canandaigua and the Finger Lakes (lower western) are "Southern Tier." It's all subject to where you're from, but people from the West will get annoyed if you refer to their area as "upstate."

supremelysteve said:

According to the city folk, sure, but the Adirondacks and the real "North" are what's really upstate. Rochester/Buffalo (upper western) etc, are "Western," Corning, Canandaigua and the Finger Lakes (lower western) are "Southern Tier." It's all subject to where you're from, but people from the West will get annoyed if you refer to their area as "upstate." :p

Edited that to add a smiley- not sure why it quoted me every time. I'm just gonna leave it alone. :p

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I was always told that the indians that were native to the great lakes area were the cause of the box turtles
demise in northern ohio, pennsylvania, and new york. They made rattles from shells, and ate the turtles. How true this is is open to conjecture. I think it is far more likely that early white settlers did them in. There obviously is going to be a northern border to their range. Some easterns have been found in Canada, but they aren't really listed as a native species there. It might be that the former extreme northern populations just couldn't take the great lake winters.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm in Staten Island, and the only box turtles I've seen here are Eastern's. Water turtles...RES, Eastern Painted's, and Diamond Backs. Years ago, Spotted, but haven't seen them in a long time. There are places here that are preserved, where the American Indian lived. When my kids were little sometimes there were school trips that allowed them to dig for arrow heads. There's also Indian museum"s. Early in the morning, just at sunrise, I would take my kids into the woods, and we'd just sit quietly, and then you'd hear a noise in the fallen leaves and see a box turtle come out. This doesn't happen too often any more....but I haven't done that in a while.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I got permission earlier from a local landowner to explore his property and search for some turtles to take some pics of. **Don't worry I won't disturb them I just want to take pics to post--I will be sneaky-sneaky** He owns over 100 acres. I'm hoping to find some Eastern Box Turtles... as long as the black bears & ticks don't find me 1st!!! ;)

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
They are eastern box turtles and they are awsome turtles ( i love mine), anyways if you want to find them go after a rain, when the humidity is up they love it so, there is some advise on how to find those great turtles :D .

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Thank you for the advice. Any pointers on where to find them... fallen leaves, trails, thick brush, etc?

Turtle Guru said:
They are eastern box turtles and they are awsome turtles ( i love mine), anyways if you want to find them go after a rain, when the humidity is up they love it so, there is some advise on how to find those great turtles :D .

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Well where i live i find them in the woods in the most random spots such as fallen logs, stumps, old loggin roads, and on the side of roads. That is where i find the moregority of them at so i hope i was help and good luck. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.