Box turtle was gnawed on by dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigMacintosh

5 Year Member
Hey guys, my Three Toed Box Turtle, Blueberry, was chewed on by my dog. The dog got through the fencing I keep around the enclosure, and gnawed on her a bit. Now, I cleaned it out with some warm water, but wasn't sure what else to do. Only her shell got chewed, and the bleeding stopped real quick, but I just want to know if there is anything else I can do at home for her to help it heal properly. Any help and advice would sure be appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can apply first aid such as you would to a human with such an injury...maybe a bit of NeoSporin, or whatever. If there is anything raw that might attract flies, you'll have to keep her in the house until it heals. Otherwise the flies will lay eggs on it.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Apply a little Neosporin and keep her inside like Yvonne said. Also contact the owner of the dog who chewed blueberry. The owner may be able to pay for something like vet bills if it comes that far, or something else.

Vickie

5 Year Member
mattgrizzlybear said:
Apply a little Neosporin and keep her inside like Yvonne said. Also contact the owner of the dog who chewed blueberry. The owner may be able to pay for something like vet bills if it comes that far, or something else.

She said it was her dog sadly. :( They are both right I cannot really ad to it other then just keep a good eye on it like you would anything else injured. If it stops eating, drinking or otherwise not acting healthy bring it to the vet. Also, keep a good eye on the wounds and make sure they don't start to get infected even with the care of neosporin. Dogs mouths unlike you often here is not clean and I am sure with torts the way they are digging in dirt etc it wouldn't be hard for infection to set in if not watched closely.

Good luck, I wish you the best on its recovery!

BigMacintosh

5 Year Member
Vickie said:
mattgrizzlybear said:

She said it was her dog sadly. :( They are both right I cannot really ad to it other then just keep a good eye on it like you would anything else injured. If it stops eating, drinking or otherwise not acting healthy bring it to the vet. Also, keep a good eye on the wounds and make sure they don't start to get infected even with the care of neosporin. Dogs mouths unlike you often here is not clean and I am sure with torts the way they are digging in dirt etc it wouldn't be hard for infection to set in if not watched closely.

Good luck, I wish you the best on its recovery!

Will Equate Triple Antibiotic work?

Status
Not open for further replies.