Box turtle

Purplechic

Location (City and/or State)
Hi, Does anyone out here have an Eastern Box Turtle? I have a rescued Eastern box turtle that I really could use someone to give me advise. Her name is Myrtle and she is stubborn :( Help! Please. I've gotten advice from the web from doctors but I really think I need to speak to someone that actually has one that is surviving. Thanks

Attachments

• 1501753834276329020670.jpg
    1501753834276329020670.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 46

Korall

Sweden
Though I do not own a box turtle I can still give you some advice.

Box turtle like humidity, therefore it is recommended that your enclosure is not open topped.

What kind of substrate are you using?

How warm is the enclosure at the basking spot, warm side, cool side and during the night?

What kind of heating and lights do you use?

What do you typically feed your box turtle?

Korall

Sweden
Hi, Does anyone out here have an Eastern Box Turtle? I have a rescued Eastern box turtle that I really could use someone to give me advise. Her name is Myrtle and she is stubborn :( Help! Please. I've gotten advice from the web from doctors but I really think I need to speak to someone that actually has one that is surviving. Thanks

You should also read this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Box-Turtle-Care-Sheet.93937/

It contains everything from housing to diet.
If you have any questions after that just ask around on the forum.

Purplechic

High Koral, The temperature underneath the basking point could get as high as 89 to 90 when it's turned off it can be about 73. The light, it does both warming and Light. I feed Myrtle strawberries, zucchini, summer squash,carrots,mushrooms, and box turtle food two kinds and calcium and vitamins. I also feed her dandelion root and parsley she does not like anything that's greens. At one time she loved green beans can't even get her to eat those she's laid 4 eggs I buried all I do not know what's going to happen but they're buried under the light. I didn't put her in an aquarium because I didn't want to have to worry about her being upset being in glass so I made a box on legs with 3ft by 2ft she doesn't climb the walls she doesn't seem to not like it she loves superworms will eat them every 2 days 10 At a wack, earthworms I tried red squirrely's I tried a hooker worm I tried feeder fish nothing don't like any of it. :) I really wanted to talk to somebody that has a box turtle inside and was living very very happy because I would love to ask questions that I have. Believe me I have researched the web I have talked to doctors on the web I really want to speak to someone that has a box turtle and is happy.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Not so hot. They don't need extreme heat. They live outdoors in the east, so they do just fine with room temperatures. give her room to soak. they are turtles, not torts. so they need and enjoy being able to soak.

Freckles24

TN
How big is she? I don't know much about them (yet) but she looks really small to be laying eggs! Not helpful I know but that's just crazy to me. Like Colleen said I would keep the temps down a bit.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
The eggs won't hatch if you left them under a heat light. they should be buried in dirt, a few inches deep. The heat will likely kill the eggs.

Purplechic

Alright you have no clue how much advice I'm giving from people that don't have box turtles inside. I was told that the eggs were to go under the lights so I put them under the light there four inches down I water them and the light gets shut off at night. and then I have two eggs that are also in the corner that's not in the light so there's four total I don't know what's going to happen, if I get a baby that's fine if I don't I don't but my biggest thing is Myrtle is a very stubborn turtle. She is 6 1/2 inches long, she'll go days without eating and then she'll want 10 worms like I said I give her all that other food that supposedly they like and I can't even get her to eat it now she's burying herself literally burying herself in the mulch and she's staying there all day so literally when I get home at 5:30 I am un burying her and I am putting her in the water pond that I have for her and then spray her box down and she stays there you know for about a half hour then she gets up I might be able to give her some worms and then she buries herself again. I got the last egg last night, she buried herself in the mulch all day and when I went to get her out there was an egg at her butt so I buried it, I didn't turn it over or anything I buried it all together with mulch around it. I don't know if that's going to work I have no clue but I just have so many questions and I just need someone to help me because I really care for her and I want her healthy. You have no clue how many people say oh she's going to die, I wouldn't bother. I would just put her in a pond. I don't want to hear that. She's all I have I moved to Myrtle Beach I don't know anybody and she keeps me sane I know it sounds stupid but at least I don't have to pay a fee for a dog or a cat. I was just really hoping I would be able to catch somebody that has a box turtle in house my turtle is an Eastern Box Turtle she's very pretty she's beautiful actually and I want her to live I want to be able to have her know me that I'm not going to hurt her some days she acts like I'm just okay and and there's no problem and she'll take anything from me other days she's putting her head in her shell and making it seem like she's scared and I've had her for 2 months. I used to take her out in my kitchen and let her walk around to try and see if she could get used to me but I was told that that was not a good thing to do so I stopped. I just thought maybe this forum could help me.

Purplechic

That is her buried under the fake plant. The other is her home. Now see you're telling me that it doesn't have to be that hot but yet every reptile place that has Turtles tell me it has to be 90 degrees you tell me it doesn't have to be that hot but then I'm told don't leave the top open because they need hea. I just want somebody to talk to me that has a box turtle and maybe they can tell me what I will expect.

Attachments

• 1501800428317154876019.jpg
    1501800428317154876019.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 15018004935851596147905.jpg
    15018004935851596147905.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 26

Freckles24

TN
Box turtles usually like to be kept at 75-85 degrees. They are basically forest turtles so think cool and moist. I see several box turtles in the wild where I live every year. The temps here only get over 95 degrees two months of the year (a few days at most). They don't like hot weather and they cool down by digging and getting in water. EBT's are weird and they don't need the temps tortoises and other turtles might need. I wouldn't trust any pet store advice because usually they don't know a head from a tail. I would just try to mimic temperatures in Spring where box turtles live (like KY, TN, SC, etc) that's what they like best.

Freckles24

TN
And about food they are omnivores so they need both but many many times they will ignore anything if it's not moving. I haven't had to deal with this yet as I have a hatchling who eats mostly protein anyway but there are a few posts I've seen with tricks to get her to start eating her veggies. I'd look into those.

Purplechic

The light that I have is only in one corner if she wants it she goes under it she bathes in it. See pics. When she's not under the light it's 80 something degrees at night the temperature goes down to 74 but that's it so honestly I don't know. After she laid the eggs I thought for sure her appetite would get bigger I mean she'll eat so eat super worms will not eat earthworms. She says really stubborn.

Attachments

• 0612170826.jpg
    0612170826.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 0624171539.jpg
    0624171539.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 27
  • 0610171623a.jpg
    0610171623a.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 25
  • 0603171420a-1-1.jpg
    0603171420a-1-1.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 25

Freckles24

TN
Heat lights get really reaaaally hot and UVBs typically just give off the uvb rays and light that a turtle needs. They shouldn't bring up temperature too much. What brand/ kind is it? Mine was about $35. Is yours a double fixture one with two bulbs?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
not sure where you are from , but there are very few places i see folks from on this board where eastern box turtles cannot live outside year round ........ I assure you they will live much more natural healthier lives , more easily for you , in an outdoor pen .......

Purplechic

I'm in Myrtle Beach and I don't own a home so I don't have a yard I'm doing the best I can trying to keep her healthy and happy