Diesle box turtle

Tjsalyers

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I rescued this little guy I named him diesle he is a a eastern box turtle 3 year male I have reptile carpet to keep him on top so he can get used to me

Attachments

• 20200808_160227.jpg
    20200808_160227.jpg
    885.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200808_192125.jpg
    20200808_192125.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 16

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
It can be frustrating for a box turtle keeper, especially the keeper of a very young box turtle, because boxies are supreme masters of hide-and-seek. I'm talking super secret covert commando turtles here. There are lots of pictures on the Forum of box turtles... where you can't even see the turtles. Those pictures get posted because those are happy boxies demonstrating that "ninja" turtles have nothing on a young box turtle, at least not in the stealth department.

There were plenty of times I managed to misplace my young box turtle in a 55 gallon Rubbermaid bin with 3 or 4 inches of substrate. They really are THAT good.

The compromise between keeper and turtle is that the boxie gets to hide most of the time, and the keeper gets to dig the boxie up for soaking in a regular basis (daily, if you like). The boxie adjusts fairly well to the soaks if there's food offered in the water.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Congratulations TJ, glad to hear that you've got another turtle!

Listen to the old people here b/c they will help you take care of your guy....and dig up a bunch of grass or stuff for him to hide in....even a little will make him feel better.....right now you have him in a nice container but he needs "stuff" in there to explore....otherwise it will be a 4-walled prison!

jeff