Boxes

Bats1965

Location (City and/or State)
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Hi I have a two year old Herman and I believe soon she will be hibernating, I have been told to put the tort I a box with ir holes then in a bigger box with paper round.. She is small, what have in the pic, would it b suitable

Attachments

• IMG_20220825_172725.jpg
    IMG_20220825_172725.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I have a two year old Herman and I believe soon she will be hibernating, I have been told to put the tort I a box with ir holes then in a bigger box with paper round.. She is small, what have in the pic, would it b suitable
Don't use cardboard. It will leak and they can dig out. Also, the substrate should be slightly damp and that won't work with cardboard.

Do you know how to do the proper lead in and out of brumation? Do you have a temperature tested and reliable fridge?

Bats1965

Don't use cardboard. It will leak and they can dig out. Also, the substrate should be slightly damp and that won't work with cardboard.

Do you know how to do the proper lead in and out of brumation? Do you have a temperature tested and reliable fridge?
We do have a fridge but we are not keen to have it in there.. So what box am I needing

Bats1965

Thank you so much for your reply, I am totally confused as I have read that I should not hybernate my 2yr old Herman as its too young. Tom I don't know what to do,?????

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much for your reply, I am totally confused as I have read that I should not hybernate my 2yr old Herman as its too young. Tom I don't know what to do,?????
The more you look, the more opinions you will find. I brumate my animals that would brumate in the wild their first year and every year, and I think that is best. However, no one "has" to do it. You can keep them up if you want.

In this thread, I list how to do it down in post number 19:

Questions are welcome.

Bats1965

Hi would a mini fridge like in the pic be okay for a hibernating Herman, worried about if there is enough air

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220829-153449.jpg
    Screenshot_20220829-153449.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi would a mini fridge like in the pic be okay for a hibernating Herman, worried about if there is enough air
I've never used something like that. The smaller it is, the less stable the temperature will be, in general. You would have to buy it, set it up, adjust it, and then let it run for days to see how accurate, stable and consistent it is. I've had the best results with normal size household fridges set up in my garage. I also fill them up with other stuff like cans and bottles for more temperature inertia and better efficiency.

Bats1965

I've never used something like that. The smaller it is, the less stable the temperature will be, in general. You would have to buy it, set it up, adjust it, and then let it run for days to see how accurate, stable and consistent it is. I've had the best results with normal size household fridges set up in my garage. I also fill them up with other stuff like cans and bottles for more temperature inertia and better efficiency.
What about one of these or is it the same problem

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220829-165440.jpg
    Screenshot_20220829-165440.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What about one of these or is it the same problem
Exact same answer from me, but that one looks more like the "mini fridges" that many people use. I have found them to be unreliable and they allow for large temperature swings. You will have to test whatever fridge you end up with ahead of time and then monitor it throughout brumation.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I looked at these mini fridges and the temperature range was not suitable.