Boxie is lethargic

Buddytheboxie

Hi so I recently adopted/rescued a 3 toed box turtle from my niece and i am still in the process of finalizing his tank. when i first got him his tank had that green carpet at the bottom. once i started reading about him i got him dirt instead. when he was first introduced to his new tank he freaked out, got super excited (so excited that he wouldnt eat his food), and started digging everywhere. He wad like that for about a week.
Then when i completely cleaned out his tank and gave him him new dirt he spends all of his time under his log or basking rock. He only eats when i pull him out and show him the food and only drinks when i do the same.
Any ideas as to why??? he is about 22 years old and has never hibernated for a far as i know.

Buddytheboxie

Here are some pictures of his current enclosure. It is a 55 gallon tank. I am not sure of the temps cause i haven't bought the thermometers yet (next on my to buy list). however the light bulbs have been the same as always that my niece has used. I will take any advice to improve his tank. First time box turtle owner here and i want to do the best for him.

1480548612808-1023967547.jpg 1480548696223776543232.jpg

Big Ol Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
pflugerville Tx
Add cypress mulch, it will hold humidity and 3 toeds like humidity. Try to get a plant saucer for water. One thats deep enough for him to sit in.
Cute boxie btw
@cmac3 might be able to help you more than I can.

Buddytheboxie

He fits perfectly in the water bowl that he has and loves water haha!
And mulch! i shall add that to the must buy list.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
He fits perfectly in the water bowl that he has and loves water haha!
And mulch! i shall add that to the must buy list.

Fitting perfectly in that bowl isn't what you want, He needs something he can move around in while soaking. Honestly he needs a bigger enclosure and water bowl.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Hi so I recently adopted/rescued a 3 toed box turtle from my niece and i am still in the process of finalizing his tank. when i first got him his tank had that green carpet at the bottom. once i started reading about him i got him dirt instead. when he was first introduced to his new tank he freaked out, got super excited (so excited that he wouldnt eat his food), and started digging everywhere. He wad like that for about a week.
Then when i completely cleaned out his tank and gave him him new dirt he spends all of his time under his log or basking rock. He only eats when i pull him out and show him the food and only drinks when i do the same.
Any ideas as to why??? he is about 22 years old and has never hibernated for a far as i know.

He probably freaked out about the new dirt because that's what they love, digging comes natural and you did great by adding it. They like to hide and that's why he goes under the log and rock. Once he gets used to things he will spend more time walking around and not hiding so much. What are you feeding and how often?

Buddytheboxie

He probably freaked out about the new dirt because that's what they love, digging comes natural and you did great by adding it. They like to hide and that's why he goes under the log and rock. Once he gets used to things he will spend more time walking around and not hiding so much. What are you feeding and how often?
He was originally only fed lettuce everyday. when i was reading i saw this was bad. i tried feeding him carrots, lettuce, basil, and a bunch of other greens but he refused everything except lettuce. I am also coating everything in banana since he loves bananas and it is to trick him into eating healthy. i am cutting everything really small. most of his meal is lettuce but i am slowly adding less and less lettuce each time till he is willing to eat everything else.
I found out he is obsessed with superworms. he gets all evil looking and aggressive when eating them. and he currently terrified of nightcrawlers.
I try and feed him veggies every day if not evey other day. i feed him his protien everyother day. i also coat the worms in that calcium stuff when i feed him.
This little guy is stubborn like a bull and has already went on a hunger strike!!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Keep trying with the veggies and all kinds of fruit too, he will get hungry and eat. Put the nightcrawlers in the enclosure eventually he will dig them up and eat them. Bi-jac frozen dog food is very good protein along with scrambled eggs with the shells.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-wont-eat.42397/

Take the turtle out in the a.m. and place her into a container of warm water that she can't climb out of. Leave her soaking for at least 15 minutes, even if she starts scrambling to get out. While she's soaking, prepare the food shown in the link above and place it at the feeding station. Put the turtle in front of the food and step out of sight. Just keep doing this daily until she starts eating. After that, you can stop the soaks and just put the food in the tank.

Buddytheboxie

Keep trying with the veggies and all kinds of fruit too, he will get hungry and eat. Put the nightcrawlers in the enclosure eventually he will dig them up and eat them. Bi-jac frozen dog food is very good protein along with scrambled eggs with the shells.
I will put a couple nightcrawlers in there! that would be fun to see him find them! scrambled eggs with shell and dog food! cool! i have tons of eggs!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Buddy may not eat this stuff right away because of the lettuce diet, but keep trying until he does. He needs these better foods.

Buddytheboxie

Buddy may not eat this stuff right away because of the lettuce diet, but keep trying until he does. He needs these better foods.
Yeah i tried tricking him into eating pumpkin by using the tweezers to feed him lettuce then quickly switched to pumpkin. he got so mad at me that he bit the tweezers out of my hand... lol i will keep trying. thank you everyone!!

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
If he's lethargic, it more than likely is due to temp and humidity. He may be trying to hibernate. My boxies eat very little veggies, they go nuts over superworms and meal worms, have protein every day along with greens. Occassionally berries.

Buddytheboxie

If he's lethargic, it more than likely is due to temp and humidity. He may be trying to hibernate. My boxies eat very little veggies, they go nuts over superworms and meal worms, have protein every day along with greens. Occassionally berries.
Alrighty! switching protien to everyday!

Buddytheboxie

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-wont-eat.42397/

Take the turtle out in the a.m. and place her into a container of warm water that she can't climb out of. Leave her soaking for at least 15 minutes, even if she starts scrambling to get out. While she's soaking, prepare the food shown in the link above and place it at the feeding station. Put the turtle in front of the food and step out of sight. Just keep doing this daily until she starts eating. After that, you can stop the soaks and just put the food in the tank.
I did this this morning. he completely ignored the food.... i shall try again tomorrow