Boxies need help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in health but here goes.

I'm currently interning at a charter school. In the middle school science classroom I recently discovered they have several different species of reptile. I was dismayed to find 2 little box turtles, of different types, in one very tiny Rubbermaid container with bark substrate, a hide, a small water bowl, and a food dish.

Now I don't know anything about box turtles or their care but I'm sure this is not the way they should be cared for.

My main concern other than habitat size is lighting. Don't they need some kind of heat or UVB?!

Are there any good care sheets out there that I can give to the teacher when I have a little discussion with her??? I'm going to be very nice about it of course but I can't just not say anything.
Thanks!

Ps. I'll try to discreetly get a picture of the sad box these guys are in.

They both appear to be heathy. Clear eyed. Firm shells. Eat well.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
SmileyKylie623 said:
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in health but here goes.

I'm currently interning at a charter school. In the middle school science classroom I recently discovered they have several different species of reptile. I was dismayed to find 2 little box turtles, of different types, in one very tiny Rubbermaid container with bark substrate, a hide, a small water bowl, and a food dish.

Now I don't know anything about box turtles or their care but I'm sure this is not the way they should be cared for.

My main concern other than habitat size is lighting. Don't they need some kind of heat or UVB?!

Are there any good care sheets out there that I can give to the teacher when I have a little discussion with her??? I'm going to be very nice about it of course but I can't just not say anything.
Thanks!

Ps. I'll try to discreetly get a picture of the sad box these guys are in.

They both appear to be heathy. Clear eyed. Firm shells. Eat well.

yes the internet is full of good care sheets, HOWEVER given the timing of the school year.. the VERY BEST thing, and where you should concentrate your energy if a) these guys look healthy and b) you want to help them improve their quality of life more than getting brushed off by a teacher that thinks they know better.. is find out what is going to happen with the turtles over the summer. If you can influence who keeps the turtles during the best 3 months for the turtles that would be best, of course make sure everyone knows where the care sheets are... GOOD LUCK

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks guys! I was unable to see them today but I will be there again next Friday. I spoke with one of the little girls whose "job" it is to care for them (feed,water) and we had an interesting conversation. She is going to do research over the weekend and is going to do a project on proper care to share with her class. I'm hoping the teacher will feel less attacked if an 8 year old tells her that they aren't being cared for correctly. I pointed the student in the right direction and I will bring some care sheets with me as well.

As suggested I will research where they are going for the summer.

Good news: they have a tortoise table in the room next door that is uninhabited! First goal is to convince them to move the poor creatures out of the tiny container and into the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.