Will need advice fast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastasia

5 Year Member
My childrens' high school has had two box turtles in the "Pet Care" classroom for several years. They looked awful when my first son went, and only look worse now (according to my teens who are familiar with how a tortoise should be cared for, as we have tortoises at home).

My daughter finally convinced the teacher to let her bring them home so we can try to bring them to a better state of health. She's bringing them home tonight! I'm familiar wit tortoise care but not box turtle care, and these may require special care.

I will certainly post photos when they are home, so I can get specific tips. But any general info now would be much appreciated!

I do not know what type of box turtle. My son says he doesn't remember them ever having a basking light although my daughter says recently they do. They've been fed basically pellets. My daughter says one of them's eyes are pussed shut. I am almost positive one has a very overgrown beak (from what i can tell in the cell pics my daughter sent me). I am hoping to do as much as possible without going to the vet, since we are only trying to help these guys out - anything has got to be better than what they're coming from - but can't make a financial commitment.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
you/we wont know what to do for them until we know for sure what they are like.....
please take lots of pictures and let us know what you see.....
the first thing that i would do for them (and for all torts/turt;es I get) is
to give them a nice long (30 minutes) soak in a warm bath....make sure
the water stays war the entire time. I would continue this treatment for a week so
they can get hydrated and warmed up.

BSET of luck and remember to post so we can help you (and them) along....REMEMBER dont put them
with the other tortoises you own :)

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
If they are eastern box turtles you need to find a rehabilitation facility were you live since almost all states it is illegal to own them. If not eastern good luck and I know quite good bit in taking care of boxys, I work at our local place that rehabs box turtles to be returned to the wild if possible.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Anastasia:

don't worry about the legalities right now. Just bring them home and set them up in a nice habitat with dirt they can dig into, a light to keep them warm, and some hiding places. I'll bet they'll appreciate a nice warm soak when you first get them. Box turtles like to sit in the water, so if they haven't had a waterer at school, they'll really appreciate having one at your house.

You might not get them to eat normal fruits and veggies at first if pellets is all they're familiar with, however, something that wiggles just can't be resisted. So plan on buying some night crawlers or dig up some earth worms for them.

Anastasia

5 Year Member
Okay I've got them home, and am working on uploading pics. Look like three-toed, if the fact that they have only three toes on each hind foot means anything :p

They were kept in a 30 gallon aquarium on some sort very small woodchip like things. They had a small water dish to drink from but it was too small for them to get in it at all. They were fed pellets and frozen mixed veggies. They had a heat pad, but no basking light or UVB light. They've been living in these conditions for over five years.

The absolutely STINK, as in they/their cage was horrible smelly. The first thing I did was soak them and use a soft toothbrush to clean off the shell wax they had been rubbing on them. I put them in a plastic bin, not huge but at least bigger than what they had been in. I just had cypress mulch on hand so they have that right now, but I can get some topsoil or sand tomorrow if that's better. I've given them a water dish that they can get in and out, fresh spring mix and some mushed up strawberry, with calcium dust and herbivite or whatever that's called. I also gave them some crickets that I had on hand. I don't have a hide in there yet, still trying to find something that works in the size bin that I have them in.

Boxie #1 is in better shape, and spent quite a bit of time chasing the crickets and getting mouthfuls of mulch, although he did catch some. He has some overgrowth of the beak. His toe nails are so long they are curled around each other. His eyes look okay, not goopy and he opens them fully. His shell looks pretty good although there seems to be some shell rot or damage (maybe old and healed now?)

Boxie #2 is in much worse shape. His beak overgrowth seems rather severe. His toes are all deformed, some curling up, some just like twisted roots, many missing not only the nail but the tip up to half of the toe. His head end seems extremely swollen, like he's filled up with gas. He farts constantly, and has goop coming out his hind end. He had something like bark stuck in the hole and I got some out but some seems as if the skin has grown over it. His eyes like awful. He didn't open his left eye at all until he played in his new water dish quite a bit, but it seems fairly mucousy and I don't know that he's seeing out of it, as he didn't even see the crickets. His shell, though, seems okay.

I will post links to photos soon!

Here are links to the photo albums for them. Let me know if you need photos of anything I missed, or you would like to see better. I know that with help I can do some good for these guys, but especially #2's needs seem rather overwhelming on the onset!

Boxie #1

Boxie #2

(Also, the school expects these guys back when they are healthy, so I am obligated to keep them. However when they are healthy, I will likely feel obligated to NOT return them back to them! Their "Pet Care" teacher needs some schooling!)

Oh yes, and I've hooked them up with a basking/UVB light as well. Tonight Boxie #2 is hanging out under the basking light and #1 is sitting in the water dish.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
They need to see a vet for some serious nail and beak trimming.

They need a fecal, the goopy stool sound like it could be parasites. All around they need to see a vet for some help.

Box turtles like wet soil, especially one side, they do not enjoy a little pond in their tank. just a water bowl big enough to get is fine. When the beak is fixed look for aggression, they really do not need companionship or want it.

30 gal tub or a large bookshelf is dutiable for indoor inclosure, in the wild they have large territory's, so they like large homes to have. Basking spot should be around 80 and cool side on the 70s. One side should be very moist to the rest if the tank. Sphagnum moss is preferable and humidity should be around 80% on moist side, around 50% in rest if the tank, plenty of hides and soft soil to burry in. Remember they are a hibernating species.

Outdoor enclosures are the best but if not available to keep outdoor mimic the temperatures in the tank of the seasons. Box turtles eat a diet of half greens and grass and half low protein food like crickets and slugs and small fish. A full spectrum light, mercury vapor are the best lights to have, but a low watt to prevent temps from leaving the 80s or keeps high above the tank so heat is lost to prevent such a high basking spot. A 30 gal tub can be used, but not the most ideal habitat, bookshelf or custom made table is the best for them.

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
Wow, unbelievable. I can't believe a class teaching students how to care for pets have kept those poor turtles in those conditions. I would definitely have a word with that teacher. Printing out some care guides might help the teacher and the students learn more about their classroom pets.

As for the boxies, they will definitely need to see a vet as soon as possible.
Is is possible that the school (or the teacher) could pay for the vet bills?

Thank you for taking them in. I'm sure they are feeling a bit better already. :)

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
I teared up! I am definitely praying for y'all. You are a great person for taking them in. My boxies love worms. If its a worm they will find it and eat it. Try those.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
That is so sad reflecting the educational system and those poor turtles.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Document their condition.. IF this teacher wants them back, they need to LEARN how to properly care for them. You also need to let them know how much its costing you. Even if you don't get reimbursed...

looks like two different species.. MBD as well..

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I feel bad for the students, they are taking a class with a incompetent teacher. I would be surprised if they were taught many things wrong.

Minority1

5 Year Member
Instinct said:
Wow, unbelievable. I can't believe a class teaching students how to care for pets have kept those poor turtles in those conditions. I would definitely have a word with that teacher. Printing out some care guides might help the teacher and the students learn more about their classroom pets.

As for the boxies, they will definitely need to see a vet as soon as possible.
Is is possible that the school (or the teacher) could pay for the vet bills?

Thank you for taking them in. I'm sure they are feeling a bit better already. :)

This trend has been going on for what feels like forever. Classrooms get pets and only buy the bare minimum, from hamsters to rabbits it's all the same to them. What I dislike is the fact the children become old enough and get pets on their own and learn the same bad habits.

Very glad you rescued them. I would take them away from that horrible situation myself. You should tell the person who's in charge of the pets that you're keeping them. If they have a problem bring this subject up in the school board or the next PTA meeting and have them support you.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
I hope you've gotten sicker turtle away from the other.. the beak trim is a good idea but for long nails they'll need to be trimmed incrementally if being done safely. Water, unflitered sunshine and a serious vet visit.. and to avoid and help clear up eye issues I'd serve diced up sweet potatoes..

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Bless you for taking them in. This situation makes me so angry!

Have the vet or vet tech write up a detailed list of every single ailment and keep this document on file. If the school or teacher tries to get the animal back, it'll be useful to have this proof to back up your claim that the animals were neglected. This will be especially useful if they threaten legal action, although I doubt they will. Whatever you do, don't give them back. If the school wants to use them as a teaching tool, you can offer to bring the animals for a visit and use them to teach the children about animal neglect and cruelty.

Anastasia

5 Year Member
Okay I've got a vet appointment for Monday morning.
I will work on finding something to put #2 in so they are seperated, of course that means buying another light/bulb...
I also will get a better substrate today. What is the best for these two?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You are an angel.
To keept things simple, for substrate, I believe just good old untreated garden dirt or topsoil with some leaves thrown in, a small pile in one area.
You can mix in some of the cypress mulch too.
Focus on keeping them hydrated, and a good basking area. Even if it is just a house bulb for now (if funds are too tight for Reptile bulbs).
They do need UV but it can wait a week at this point, if needed.
The vet is the most important next step, so that should be where your funds go at first. Let the vet know they are rescues (which won't be hard to figure out :( ) , perhaps they will modify their charges.

Anastasia

5 Year Member
Okay here is what I was able to throw together for them. I know, not ideal for the long run but hoping this will suffice while I'm working on their health.

#1... He's in the corner eating some earthworms!
photo1-1_zpsd3f73729.jpg

#2... This bin is smaller but I had to set it up in my bedroom (totally out of room in the rest of the house), which is actually probably better anyway as my bedroom is quiet (away from my kids) and I keep it fairly warm in there (running a small space heater in there).
photo2-1_zps27112d1a.jpg

For both bins, the plastic lids come off into two pieces so since I don't have room for hides, I'm putting those lids on the non-basking side of the bin with a towel over them to give them a shady area. Think that's okay, even though the water bowls are on the same side?

So are these set-ups okay for now?
Oh I didn't have the food dishes in there but don't worry, they do have them! LOL

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
They both look very happy! So glad you have them now :)
Let us know about your appointment tomorrow Hopefully it will be just routine maintenance for them nothing serious (Fingers crossed)

Status
Not open for further replies.