Will need advice fast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
The second picture looks like he is saying "This is the life." You are such a good person!

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
They look so happy, especially that one in the water bowl! You're doing a great job with these guys! :)

Anastasia

5 Year Member
Woohoo! #2 ate some worms just now! So excited for him (and boy was he excited when he realized what they were! He acted like it was manna from heaven! LOL)

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
Anastasia said:
Woohoo! #2 ate some worms just now! So excited for him (and boy was he excited when he realized what they were! He acted like it was manna from heaven! LOL)

Told you! Turtles love worms!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yay for #2 box turtle! He's thinking: first, soaking whenever I want. Now live protein! Whoo hoo!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
That is awesome that you rescued them! I love the pic of the one sitting in the bowl soaking :) please keep us posted <3

Life is good

Anastasia

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Yay for #2 box turtle! He's thinking: first, soaking whenever I want. Now live protein! Whoo hoo!

Yes, and #1 has only come out of the water to eat some worms, then straight back in he goes! Guess he's making up for years of going without!

899913_10151598119029468_1898233515_o_zpsf6bae3d5.jpg

But do you think I should move the water to the other end, the corner NEXT to the basking corner, since neither of them have really figured out this basking thing, having also been without that for so long, just so it's a little warmer? (I did put their undertank heating pads underneath the cage, under the water dishes, so while the water isn't WARM it certainly isn't cold at all.)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
See what others say, but I think the under tank heaters should be enough, at least for tonight. If they continue to spend a lot of time there tomorrow, perhaps that's not a bad idea.
Maybe they are softening their nails for their pedicure on Monday :cool:

Look at his little head resting on the edge, awwww...

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
you're a godsend to these two little dudes. what bad shape they're in - especially the one! :(

check out www.aboxturtle.com if you haven't already.

i would be so very tempted to tell the teacher that they both unfortunately died and leave it at that. these guys are far better off with you!

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I don't know anything about box turtles (except that they love worms:p),but they look very happy now that they are in a good home... well done!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
This is so sweet. So great to see them happy now!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I'd swear he has a smile on his face :)

Life is good

Anastasia said:
lynnedit said:

Yes, and #1 has only come out of the water to eat some worms, then straight back in he goes! Guess he's making up for years of going without!

899913_10151598119029468_1898233515_o_zpsf6bae3d5.jpg

But do you think I should move the water to the other end, the corner NEXT to the basking corner, since neither of them have really figured out this basking thing, having also been without that for so long, just so it's a little warmer? (I did put their undertank heating pads underneath the cage, under the water dishes, so while the water isn't WARM it certainly isn't cold at all.)

He looks so happy!

Life is good

Anastasia

5 Year Member
OKay we've been to the vet and back. #1, who is now named Freddy (and is confirmed a GIRL) wasn't too bad off, luckily! Naturally all sorts of vitamin deficiencies, etc. He trimmed up the beak and nails.

#2, who is now named Doody, of course is worse off. All the obvious... shell deformities, deformed feet and missing toes, etc, all due to poor nutrition and care. His eyes are swollen, the inside of his mouth is swollen, his skull is malformed with bits of his head being more rubber than bone, among other things. There wasn't much of a problem with the fecal, and he did an x-ray just for his own curiosity (so he didn't charge me) and said the skeleton didn't look too bad, actually. He's on extra calcium, and of course lots of TLC. The vet trimmed the beak, not completely but partway, and as it grows I'll continue to take him in to have it trimmed down until one day hopefully it can start growing downwards in the correct position. He said to expect more toes to fall off, also, and if I see exposed bone we'll go back in.

The vet said if this is a result of five years of bad care, to expect it to take five years to get them back to normal healthy condition. That is what he'll include in his report that I will give to the school.

Later this afternoon, the sun came out and we hit a high of a whopping 60 degrees :p so I took them outside to soak in the sun for 20 minutes. Freddy, who was a little wiggle worm and escape artist (in training) at the vet, just spread out completely and soaked it in! Doody is a little more traumatized so she just stuck his head out, but I think she enjoyed it also! Pics to follow!

Here are pics of a very happy Ms Freddie enjoying the sun with her newly trimmed beak!

DSC_7249_zps7e2f7cc5.jpg

DSC_7235_zpsa3982217.jpg

DSC_7262_zps664a1e1a.jpg

Can anyone help me figure out what type of Boxie Doody is? He (or she... the vet said the shell is so deformed and bum so swollen, he can't really tell for sure the gender) has four toes on each foot... or used to, at least... Don't laugh at Doody's "new look"; I know he's beautiful on the inside! :p (Looks like she's smiling in the third pic!) The vet had quite the dilemma deciding how to best work on that duck bill, because if he left it long at all, it would just continue to regrow out, but if he took it too short, Doody wouldn't be able to munch down on food. So this is a work in progress, it seems rather gaping right now but he should still be able to grab veggies and fat nightcrawlers, and clamp down with the sides of his mouth if needed.

DSC_7276_zpse81f5ab7.jpg

DSC_7277_zpscbc60d5f.jpg

DSC_7271_zpsccfc5d74.jpg

DSC_7268_zps832a1ed9.jpg

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
The last picture is precious! I pray for these turtles all the time! I'm so glad they are in your hands!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Doody looks like a Chinese box turtle to me.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
That is very good to hear, I do hope they both make a full recovery and that you never have to give them back to the class and that the teacher is either fired or never allowed to purchase such animals for the class ever again.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You are absolutely amazing. You can see the will to live in both of their eyes, and now they have the means to do it.

Definitely give the report to the school. One school at a time....

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Awwww..... They are both precious. What adorable, sweet faces.
Anyway you could just ask to keep them or would she say no??

Status
Not open for further replies.