Will need advice fast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Your family is awesome for taking in these guys!! They are sooo lucky to have you!
Picture #1 is priceless!!
I'm looking forward to hearing about their progress.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Just found this thread and got caught up!

They must be so happy to be enjoying good conditions now :)

Looking forward to more updates!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I agree Doody looks like a Chinese box turtle. These turtles cannot go back to that school!!

Athena1985

5 Year Member
Bozeman Montana
You are a god send to these little guys. Glad they are in better care!ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365549926.003646.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
These poor turtles are so lucky to be found by someone like you. I was shocked when I saw the pics of the second turtle, it's good he's getting a chance at the good life.

Anastasia

5 Year Member
Well so far Doody has turned out to be the easier one to care for! He's not as interested in sitting in his water so I guess I'll have to give him some mandatory soaks, but he has gone to his basking spot for short basks on his own (I need to get a smaller bulb, I think it's a little hot), and he has had a great appetite! I cut up some strawberries today and put a bunch of mealworms in the dish, and he was so excited about the mealworms that he ate up the strawberries too! It's a bit hard for him to get the mealies in his mouth through that gap, but he managed quite a few!

Freddy, on the other hand, still only wants to sit in the water all day. She did get out overnight but as soon as the lights went back on, she was right back in the water. I've taken her out and put her to bask a few times and she just goes straight back to the water. She's not been as anxious to eat, only being interested in the nightcrawlers and nothing else! I wonder if I should still let her stay in the water as much as she wants?

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Thanks for the updates and pictures. I am so happy you took them. They are adorable. I love the pictures and look forward to more.

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Anastasia,
You've taken on quite a task here and More Power To You!!!
Boxie #2 is of the Cuora subspecies. They are a semi-aquatic Asian turtle; The Chinese Snake-Eating Turtle! What a magnificent name eh? I rescued one years ago and believe it or not he was in nearly as bad of shape as yours. Got his beak trimmed with a Dremel tool at the vet, gave him 1 round of injected antibiotics and Most Importantly: Provided him with a semi-aquatic environs and plenty of little fish to eat (once his beak was actually sharp enough to eat them).

Definitely: Immediately separate the two. In my experience my North Amer. Boxies and Cuora did not get along. Might even be that they've been biting eachother's tails, hence the damage to both.

Boxie #1 Totally a Terrepene Carolina Triunguis, ie Three Toed Box Turtle. Looks like a severe respiratory infection seeing as her nostrils are swollen into being invisible. Again, injected antibiotics and some serious nail/beak trimming via the vet.

As far as immediate care, the more shallow (2-3") warm clean water soakings you can provide, the better. Help them flush out all that nastiness. Poor babies...

Under absolutely no circumstances should these victims be returned to that school. Feel free to PM me with questions as to how to legally protect yourself and them and/or care for them.

I know I'm a bit of a newbie here, but I've successfully cared for and rehabilitated box turtles for 28 years.
Yours Truly,
Thea

Anastasia

5 Year Member
Okay so my two big questions are... how much should I be feeding them? And how long should they be in the water?

Doody (the Chinese turtle) has a HUGE appetite. As I said, yesterday he ate nightcrawlers as well as a chopped up strawberry with meal worms mixed in. I decided to try all kinds of worms to see what he likes best, and today he had a bowl with two superworms, some mealies, one big nightcrawler, and 4 or 5 red wigglers, mixed in with some spring greens. He DEVOURED them, although he had trouble with the superworms and didn't end up eating them. But he ate everything else. I'm sure he'd eat more if I gave him more, but I don't know how much is too much. He has not been very interested in sitting in his water although he will if I put him in there. Should I make a bigger water area? (You can see him in the white bowl in a previous message.)

Freddy has ONLY been interested in the nightcrawlers although it looks like she may have eaten her red wigglers, too. I don't see the superworms in there but they may have crawled into the dirt or something. She's not interested in greens, veggies or fruit. And she does sit in the water ALL day, but comes out at night. Should I let her do as she pleases in that regard?

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
The water is fine, let her soak as much as she wants, doody you can soak him every other day if you want. Food wise leave enough in there that when they are done eating there is more for them to munch on later, they normally eat when they want in the wild, so leave food for them to munch on when they get hungry again. Keep offering the female greens with her live critters, hopefully she figures out that everything in her bowl is food.

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Mr/Mrs Doody sounds like a real trooper! My boxie Ive had for 28 years was missing a toe and lost several others when I first got her, but lo and behold they've all grown back (a lil' wonky) but they're all there now!
As far as him/her not voluntarily soaking as much, I really don't know... Maybe it's pain related, like as far as the tail and toe injuries? I'd keep up with the baths every day.
You are doing an absolutely fabulous job caring for them and it is such a good sign that they're hungry. As long as they're pooping okay, my opinion is feed em as much as they'll eat.
Wishing you plenty of sunshine for your shells,
Thea

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for not only rescuing those turtles, putting an end to their suffering and drastically increasing their quality of life, but also for sharing their story. I am learning a lot and rooting for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.