Brand new tortoise owner

Jennica

I am a brand spanking new tortoise owner. See above temporary setup. Seeking advice and tips. My new guys name is Shredder and after only 3 days am very attached. I want to make sure he is very happy and healthy. He seems to be so far. Any help is great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, Jennica, and welcome to the Forum!

Hard to tell, but I'm thinking you're using one of those spiral-shaped compact fluorescent bulbs. Please turn that off immediately and get a different type UVB bulb. A tube type would be fine, but if you buy a more expensive MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb) you will be able to have heat and UVB all in one fixture. The CFLs are harmful to baby tortoise's eyes.

Also, if you'll read the "Important Threads" at the top of the sulcata section you'll see that moisture and a humid environment are needed in order for baby shells to grow smoothly. You may have to jury rig some sort of cover over your nice habitat in order to keep some of that moist air inside (and wet the substrate).

Jennica

Thank you. I do have the lid, i took it off for the picture. I will get the new bulb tomorrow. That is what the pet store recommended. I have been reading alot and changed alot already. My boyfriend sprung this on me while out of town so i literaly had to scramble to set this up. I will be moving this whole thing to another room since this first attempt is very temporary. Thank you again.

Jennica

Hi, Jennica, and welcome to the Forum!

Hard to tell, but I'm thinking you're using one of those spiral-shaped compact fluorescent bulbs. Please turn that off immediately and get a different type UVB bulb. A tube type would be fine, but if you buy a more expensive MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb) you will be able to have heat and UVB all in one fixture. The CFLs are harmful to baby tortoise's eyes.

Also, if you'll read the "Important Threads" at the top of the sulcata section you'll see that moisture and a humid environment are needed in order for baby shells to grow smoothly. You may have to jury rig some sort of cover over your nice habitat in order to keep some of that moist air inside (and wet the substrate).

I cannot find the "important threads" you are talking about. The more i read the more hopeless i feel about getting all of this right.

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Welcome! Glad you are here!

Don't get discouraged I totally understand. I'm still fairly new and I can relate to your feelings! Make a list of things that need to be altered by level of importance and check them off one by one. Set attainable goals , whether it be daily or weekly and then you will feel more successful. You will do great, there is fantastic information here for us to have happy and healthy torts! ;)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Don't worry, I know right now it seems overwhelming but you'll get it. I had the same feeling myself. It took me a few months to get everything right. And I don't think I will ever start tweaking my enclosures but that's okay, that's half the fun. You're doing wonderful for just three days! Hang in there. Your Tortoise will be fine. This is a great place to get all the information you need.

Jennica

My boyfriend just brought home a giant aquarium. I have read that they are not good. He is not home during the week and have to figure this out myself. I am also running out of money,especially since he sprung this on me last minute. My biggest challenge is figuring out the humidity. If i can get details on how to do this with this aquarium i will be so grateful. It is just starting to get warm enough in ohio to take Shredder outside,which i will start doing. I still need to get new uv and a che. Do the che come with thermostats?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I didn't know that many people do keep their baby tortoises in aquariums, they make what they call a closed chamber. Look in the enclosure section and see what you can find. How big is the aquarium?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I'm from Mich. About 20 yrs ago I came out here . And just stayed I love it . And so do reptiles ! :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Jennica

I'm from Mich. About 20 yrs ago I came out here . And just stayed I love it . And so do reptiles ! :)

Im from ohio and love it here. I liked AZ for a visit but i really love the season changes here. Thank you for the welcome. The kind words i am receiving are helping to calm me on my tortoise care fears.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
We have all 4 seasons here and snow but it's be our choice not
Gods and we get snow by the foot ! By the way my daughter lives in Eaglewood , Ohio :)