Breakfast Funny from Trooper & Mudflap

Jimb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, Co.
Breakfast time this morning and Trooper (Russian) wasn't in any hurry but Mudflap (Hermanns) was really trying to get around him and to the food. Finally got Trooper out of the way. I was cracking up!! Hope you can view this :)

They finally got it together and enjoyed their breakfast. :)
ThePair1_3_16c.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
(Click on the small picture to see the video)

yillt

Sorry if I've missed something, but I don't think that these two species should nessecarily be together. Diseases pass between species easily. I'm sorry if I've misunderstood.

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
Sorry if I've missed something, but I don't think that these two species should nessecarily be together. Diseases pass between species easily. I'm sorry if I've misunderstood.

You haven't misunderstood, I have kept these two hatchlings together since having them checked out by the Vet. I know it's not recommended but until I get another table built .... I'm actually surprised I haven't gotten more warnings about it but so far so good. I'll get them seperated as soon as I can. :)

yillt

You haven't misunderstood, I have kept these two hatchlings together since having them checked out by the Vet. I know it's not recommended but until I get another table built .... I'm actually surprised I haven't gotten more warnings about it but so far so good. I'll get them seperated as soon as I can. :)
Well done. That's good news. I'm surprised as well because usually people are very strict on things like this. The sooner the better. :)

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
I'm actually about 1/2 done with Mudflap's (Hermanns) table now. So these two should be separated in the next 2 or 3 days.NewHabitat1_3_16.jpg
Needs sealing, caulking, and I'll be putting a lining in this one as well. Then the 100w MegaRay UVB/UVA/Heat light, some Coconut coir & maybe Cypress Mulch for substrate and it'll be ready for Mudflap to move in. :)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I'm actually about 1/2 done with Mudflap's (Hermanns) table now. So these two should be separated in the next 2 or 3 days.View attachment 161039
Needs sealing, caulking, and I'll be putting a lining in this one as well. Then the 100w MegaRay UVB/UVA/Heat light, some Coconut coir & maybe Cypress Mulch for substrate and it'll be ready for Mudflap to move in. :)
Looks good so far! What kind of materials are you using for sealing/lining? I'm considering a new approach to sealing our tortoise table as our Russian loves to burrow into the tarp-like material we have laid over the table. :confused: Obviously we'd like to prevent mold or any leaking from the table. ;)

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
Looks good so far! What kind of materials are you using for sealing/lining? I'm considering a new approach to sealing our tortoise table as our Russian loves to burrow into the tarp-like material we have laid over the table. :confused: Obviously we'd like to prevent mold or any leaking from the table. ;)

Thanks Oxalis, bothTrooper's & now Mudflap's Habitat are caulked with Heavy Duty Tub & Tile Caulk and then sealed with Kilz2 Sealer/Stain Blocker (inside & out) with several coats of Polyurethane on the inside. On Mudflap's I'm also using 3 mil thick plastic (doubled) to help with the waterproofing.
NewHabitat1_4_16.jpg

I'm almost ready to relocate the new Habitat and get the substrate and 'furniture' put in.
The bracket is for hanging the MegaRay UVB/UVA/Heat lamp. It should hang between 18" & 22" bulb to substrat. When I get everything completed I'll post a pic of all my habitats which take up half of my small Den. I think I've maxed it out. LOL!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thanks Oxalis, bothTrooper's & now Mudflap's Habitat are caulked with Heavy Duty Tub & Tile Caulk and then sealed with Kilz2 Sealer/Stain Blocker (inside & out) with several coats of Polyurethane on the inside. On Mudflap's I'm also using 3 mil thick plastic (doubled) to help with the waterproofing.
View attachment 161134

I'm almost ready to relocate the new Habitat and get the substrate and 'furniture' put in.
The bracket is for hanging the MegaRay UVB/UVA/Heat lamp. It should hang between 18" & 22" bulb to substrat. When I get everything completed I'll post a pic of all my habitats which take up half of my small Den. I think I've maxed it out. LOL!
Thanks so much for the response! I will relay this to my "engineer" (fiancé). ;) Can't wait to see the project progress further! I think Mudflap will be one satisfied tort!

I see you have some small wooden boards over the plastic liner on the inside walls of the enclosure. This is another possibility. :D

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
Mudflap (The Hermanns Hatchling) is spending his first night all by himself. His new habitat is done I think. :)
MudflapsHome1_5_15.jpg It wound up being 38"x24"x8" because that's all the room I had let. LOL!

As promised, here is a pic of the Reptile side of my Den which takes up half of my little Den. :)
RepLand1_5_15.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Oh my goodness -- that's quite the reptile collection! ;D Glad Mudflap has his own apartment now. :D Looks nice!