Breeding box turtles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan, Canada
I know its usually not recommended to keep pairs of turtles, but I'm going to get a box turtle this upcoming summer, and I'm planning on breeding later on. (Also, any permits/shipping licenses/etc. for Saskatchewan, Canada?) Is it okay to buy two at the same time, and raise them together as a pair, or buy one juvenile now, and one adult later? I know its not recommended, but will buying two that were housed together as juveniles mean they MIGHT get along better with each other than buying from two different places? Thanks in advance!
dannel

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My box turtles have always lived outside, so that is my experience with them. Outside in a large pen, I have many males and few females. I have never seen any fighting.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
I have a group and the males fight like brothers! They have a huge area outside with many vision blockers and they are still at each other daily. There are plenty of females to go around. I think it depends on the turtle!

My experience has been it doesn't matter if they are raised together or not. As soon as they develope sexual maturity you may see a change in behavior, for good or bad.

I have no idea about permits for Canada. I'd go to the Canadian goverment web pages. It's gotta be located there.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Any number of females can live together peaceably. Add males and it could be fine or it could be terrible. Generally a breeding colony would be 1:3 or more. So you need a lot of room & sight breaks, and you need to be prepared to separate them if the male is too relentless. A 1:1 ratio is beyond unkind, it can be outright abusive to the female.

In the wild, turtles breed opportunistically. In captivity , there is no shut off.

Status
Not open for further replies.