Breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

portsmouthtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire, UK
What is the youngest anyone's Indian star has produced eggs?

I have a male and a female approx 4 and a half years old and they've started to procreate. I didn't know if it was possible for anything to come of it?

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That is definitely possible. I know a breeder whom has females laying successful clutches. Those animals are 4 years old. My males are 4 years old and fertilize no problem. But my female is 5.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Breeding is size related, not age related. Captive bred torts tend to grow more quickly and breed younger than wild caught

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
What are the weights? Female is the crucial one. Ive lost females in the past being egg bound. So make sure you have a good nesting site for the eggs. It can happen with young unknown nesting animals. They are smart for sure. But always best to be ready. 6" you might be able to get eggs. Depends on her weight and if she is developing follicles to produce eggs in her ovaduct.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TortForum mobile app

theelectraco

5 Year Member
sulley13 said:
She's around 800g at the moment. My fear is that she does produce eggs and is unable to pass them.

Not even pushing a 2 pounder...I think you have a ways to wait...so don't worry just yet.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah 1000 grams id be looking for eggs possibly. One way of finding out if she is ovulating the male will chase her around and sniff a lot then breed. He may breed and breed and breed like a lot will. But sniffing and then chasing defines a ovulation. Its pretty obvious with elegans. Your best bet is to seperate for another year or 2 to be possibly be safe. Does the male breed now?

portsmouthtortoises

10 Year Member!
Hampshire, UK
tortadise said:
Yeah 1000 grams id be looking for eggs possibly. One way of finding out if she is ovulating the male will chase her around and sniff a lot then breed. He may breed and breed and breed like a lot will. But sniffing and then chasing defines a ovulation. Its pretty obvious with elegans. Your best bet is to seperate for another year or 2 to be possibly be safe. Does the male breed now?

That's what i thought but i assume there can be some exceptions every now and then. I'll keep an eye on him and see if he does this.
No, they've been together ever since i rescued them and i assume up until then as well. This is the first time the male has shown any signs.

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
I have been raising a group of Indian Stars since birth. They were born in Oct and Nov of 2009. My females started producing babies this past February. My smallest female that started laying eggs is 1300 grams. My biggest female is 1800 grams. They range in size from 8 inches (smallest female) to 9 inches (my biggest Female). My males are the same age and are 5-6 inches and about 500-600 grams.

portsmouthtortoises

10 Year Member!
Hampshire, UK
KenS said:
I have been raising a group of Indian Stars since birth. They were born in Oct and Nov of 2009. My females started producing babies this past February. My smallest female that started laying eggs is 1300 grams. My biggest female is 1800 grams. They range in size from 8 inches (smallest female) to 9 inches (my biggest Female). My males are the same age and are 5-6 inches and about 500-600 grams.

That's very helpful to know. Thank you.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
KenS said:

how u get them grow so fast,:D,my indian stars are around 3 years old and the females are only 5 inches .

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
xXtortoiseloverXx said:
KenS said:

how u get them grow so fast,:D,my indian stars are around 3 years old and the females are only 5 inches .

My group of Indians have been growing at their own pace. I keep both my Burmese Stars and my Indiana stars pretty much the same way, except for their substrate. Otherwise same diet,temps, light cycles, ect. These bloodlines of Indians I am working with have always been great starters and above normal when it comes to growth rates. All have almost perfect growth as well. Maybe I just got REALLY lucky starting with GREAT CBB animals!!
Here are pictures of my 4 females and one of my males. The 3 are 8 inch females and the other female is 9inche3 female indians.JPGLargest female indian w 5in male.JPGs and the male is almost 6inches.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

locado999

5 Year Member
yes I too want to know the age at which average Indian stars can produce eggs? Presently mine are 8 month babies. How much time will it take to lay eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.