Broadleaf seed mix

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yes you can. You just need soil, light and water. There are all sorts of plant growing bulbs available nowadays.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I should add that if you try to grow it inside your tortoise's enclosure, it will be trampled or eaten before it can get going.

Many people grow it in trays. You can move substrate out of the way and sink the tray into the enclosure so the rim is level with the surface of the substrate. Then, simply replace the trays as needed after your tortoise has grazed them down enough. You can grow several trays and several can recover and regrow, while your tortoise munches on one of them. Some people buy all the lights and use a rack system to grow all their trays. This is a great way to go if you live somewhere in the frozen north… Like NY for example… :)

Doreen S.

Staten Island New York
I should add that if you try to grow it inside your tortoise's enclosure, it will be trampled or eaten before it can get going.

Many people grow it in trays. You can move substrate out of the way and sink the tray into the enclosure so the rim is level with the surface of the substrate. Then, simply replace the trays as needed after your tortoise has grazed them down enough. You can grow several trays and several can recover and regrow, while your tortoise munches on one of them. Some people buy all the lights and use a rack system to grow all their trays. This is a great way to go if you live somewhere in the frozen north… Like NY for example… :)
LOL I live in new York ! Thank you so much for your info although I'm a little afraid of burning out the electric in my house my house was built in 1899 although electric updated that was 20 years ago I will investigate the lights your info is so appreciated

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
LOL I live in new York ! Thank you so much for your info although I'm a little afraid of burning out the electric in my house my house was built in 1899 although electric updated that was 20 years ago I will investigate the lights your info is so appreciated

The typical florescent lights don't pull that much power and the newer LED grow lights pull even less. Far less than your tortoise's incandescent basking bulb.

Doreen S.

Staten Island New York
The typical florescent lights don't pull that much power and the newer LED grow lights pull even less. Far less than your tortoise's incandescent basking bulb.
Oh okay thank you ! apparently I am quite green to this whole thing I so appreciate you Tom

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
For what it's worth, I would advise to grow as much greens as possible. I am currently growing broadleaf weed mix in a 4-foot diameter kiddie pool outside, but my 3.5" one-year-old Hermann's girl already eats more than I can pick in a week. At this point I feed her clippings from it every other day in order to give it time to recover its growth.

Maria Ohlson

Sweden
I Always grow seed mix and have the pots and trays beside the tortoise enclosure inside were they thrive.:) The trick is that they have to have a great deal of light to thrive and grow. I have T5 as daylight to my tortoise witch is a very good light! Good luck with your seeds.

Attachments

• IMG_1531.JPG
    IMG_1531.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 40

stevenf625

5 Year Member
I Always grow seed mix and have the pots and trays beside the tortoise enclosure inside were they thrive.:) The trick is that they have to have a great deal of light to thrive and grow. I have T5 as daylight to my tortoise witch is a very good light! Good luck with your seeds.

Nice setup.
What is the substrate? looks like dirt.

Yes you can and Geronimo loves it. I actually grow a few small pans of it and stick them in his habitat and he just goes nuts over it. I do small pans because he cleans it up pretty quick and I don't want him to overstuff himself LOL. Plus I want him to eat other foods too.

Rowlet

5 Year Member
SoCal
I just set my broadleaf mix planter by the window and it is doing fine. Our tortoise really loves the clover and dandelions. Just used organic topsoil from Home Depot.