Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This happened to a friend's redfoot this weekend. Not sure how it happened. I have not had this problem before. Any tips for what to do? Obviously, "Go directly to a tortoise vet." is tip #1. Any other tips? Anyone had this problem before?

draxqr.jpg

358nupi.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It will fall off eventually, and in the meantime, the food will have to be cut up small so the tortoise doesn't have to use it (the beak).

I took in a steppe tortoise who's beak had broken similar to that. It cracked on either side and eventually the whole front fell off. It took about 8 months for there to even look like a beak was growing again. I made extra when I was preparing the hatchlings' food, and he always got "baby" food. He was able to eat just fine as long as he didn't have to bite.

This is due to calcium deficiency.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Hey Tom, look under sick sulcatas:(. Antonio650 has a very severe problem with his sulcata but it is also an issue with its beak. The problem there is bacteria in the blood. I don't think that was the original problem but that is what it has developed into. Another member here, princessdreamsxxx, seems extreemly well informed, maybe a vet, you can pm her and see what she has to offer. I thought she really knew what she was talking about. It was just a thought since I don't have any actual knowledge to offer on the problem. Good luck and I hope you get the answers you need for your friend. :)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Liquid bandage?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Skin-Liquid-Bandage-First-Aid-Liquid-Antiseptic-1-oz/10316533

I have used this on myself when I have had cuts and such....it does not burn when introduced to the wound, so perhaps a good thing to use to keep the beak from tearing off and creating further pain and damage??????

I have used it and it burns like HELL FIRE! And smells awful! Worse that super glue NOWAY would I put that on that poor things beak so close to his nose!

He needs to go to a vet ASAP and fed a soft diet of Mazuri and chopped really fine greens, that is what I had to do when my Tyrone when he cracked his beak, thankfully it is healing very nice.

Make sure the vet trims with a dremel and not clippers!

Status
Not open for further replies.