• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Browning coloration on the top/back of Hermann's shell?

__honeybee

Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg
Hi everyone!

I have an 8 year old Hermann's tortoise (Chompy). I've noticed some weird discoloration in the back of his shell in the past year. It seems to be a dusty brown color and I am not sure why. (I did switch from substrate to soil as he seemed to prefer it, and thought maybe the soil is dying his shell - but it doesn't come off in the shower at all)

His terrarium has a good range of microclimates, I feed him a variety of leafy greens, some vegetables, and a calcium supplement. His shell is still hard and he has a lot of energy, so his general health doesn't seem to be affected, but I wanted to check to be sure.

Does anyone know what this browning might be?
(I've attached an image so you can take a look!)

Thanks!

CHOMPY.jpg

King Arthur

Newark
Hi everyone!

I have an 8 year old Hermann's tortoise (Chompy). I've noticed some weird discoloration in the back of his shell in the past year. It seems to be a dusty brown color and I am not sure why. (I did switch from substrate to soil as he seemed to prefer it, and thought maybe the soil is dying his shell - but it doesn't come off in the shower at all)

His terrarium has a good range of microclimates, I feed him a variety of leafy greens, some vegetables, and a calcium supplement. His shell is still hard and he has a lot of energy, so his general health doesn't seem to be affected, but I wanted to check to be sure.

Does anyone know what this browning might be?
(I've attached an image so you can take a look!)

Thanks!

Hi, question..did anyone respond? I'm looking for a similar concern answered. ?

__honeybee

Winnipeg
Hi, question..did anyone respond? I'm looking for a similar concern answered. ?
Hi there, sorry for my late response. No one got back to me but it turned out to just be some seriously caked on soil. I got a bristly scrubby brush, gave him a shower and scrubbed all of the dirt off.
If this doesn't work for you, the discoloration may be due to a calcium deficiency and is something you should talk to a vet about.