Brrrr Southern California

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Re: RE: Brrrr Southern California

thatrebecca said:
We're forecast to get down to 37 tonight in the SF Valley. What about you?

I'm super close to you. Tonight the windchill is 29!!!

Maverick

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Brrrr Southern California

lisa127 said:
Actually Tom, 33 is not that cold to me. Well, in July it would be. But at this time of year, I'll take 33!

We are the opposite of you all. The last couple weeks have been daytime highs of 30ish and nighttime lows of 20ish. Until yesterday. Yesterday was a high of 60 and it never dropped during the night. I woke up to 60 degrees! Am I really in Cleveland, Ohio??

It all goes downhill starting tonight though.
Lol I'm near Akron, I laughed out loud when I read the title of this thread. :D:D:D

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Woke up to my first ever frost in my LA yard. Happy to see my brumating DTs are measuring 43F in their chest freezer. I like this cold weather!

erica anne

5 Year Member
I remember when I lived in Minnesota how warm 50 degrees could be! Short sleeves no jacket. I was watching a Christmas special recently where a couple went to Arizona for Christmas. They were sunbathing and swimming lol. People don't realize the desert can get COLD. Okay maybe not 4 degrees but still...

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387401206.842194.jpg thought some of you may like a weather update from the UK!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
It's actually not that cold in the UK-higher than 33 at least. What is happening is a really bad storm-by UK standards at least- called Emily, winds of over 100mph, and in the north tonight there is meant to be more rain than the norm for a fortnight-and remember the UK is much damper than most of the US.
At least we don't have drastic seasons, even if the summers aren't warm, we don't have the really cold winters you get due to continentality.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
We are doing so much better than our dear UK friends and their Emily with a serious bad temper blowing through. Emily may have winds at 100 mph. What? Our Santa Ana (wah-wah-wah) Winds average 30-50 with 2011 being the worse year at 80-97 max. Hang on UK and stay safe, and your little tortoises, too! : 0

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
It was a DOWN POUR today. Frizzy hair, soaked clothes, and my poor old converse.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Not too much damage actually. There was very little speculation about it, but minus some flooding I think mostly we escaped. No deaths as far as I'm aware-unlike the storm back in October.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
You guys make me lol. -16 today. :p
If it was 30 degrees out, heck, that's light sweatshirt weather! Don't even need a coat! :D

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Negative 16? 30 degrees light sweatshirt? Good God are we both on the same planet? I am so cold after reading that. I am going to go make me a cup o tea. Brrrr is right.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Haha -23° today! Promise I'm not an alien. Its been pretty consistently hanging around -20° for the last 3 weeks or so, except for one random day in the 30s. It was glorious! And yes, I was going outside in a zip up sweatshirt and scarf until it got around 10°. :p

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
StarSapphire22 said:
Haha -23° today! Promise I'm not an alien.

Oh no, you are not the alien. I'm in California. We are.
Everyone else, tough survivors with the weather and all. Here, we are wusses, mostly, not all, but a lot. Maybe it's a Vitamin D, OD thing. LOL.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hehehe! This SoCal winter has me all giddy. This whole MONTH has been about like a coastal Washington SUMMER. I work retail and have to carry dog food out to peoples' cars regularly. One day, it was maaaybe 55F and POURING rain--so I wound up doing almost every carry out. It became a joke... *Especially* when someone would ask if I wanted to grab a coat first. What? Coat? Why? Don't be silly.

And now it's been 80F for a week here in Redlands area. Aaaah. Finally, something I really like about SoCal! In contrast, my dad is stuck working in Williston, ND. He informed me the day after Christmas that it was somewhere around -40F. Brrr!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
You are right Floof, this weather has been divine. Unreal. Your poor daddy. I was freaking over 4, now you say negative four zero. I.could.not.do.it. California girl all the way. Proud (no choice?) West Coast weather wuss. : 0

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Lol! I, too, am a wimp. I've done single digits. It's AWFUL. I don't know how I ever survived half a childhood living in that crap! I think the coldest it got while I was living in Utah in 2011 was 1 or 2 degrees, of course while I was stuck standing outside in pajamas in the middle of the night waiting for the dogs to potty. (My back yard had a perfect view of the local bank's temperature display. Excellent for wallowing in one's misery!) Talk about miserable!! Lucky for me it started out as a pretty mild winter for Utah--other than that last week or two of bitter cold before the move, it actually stayed in the upper 20s during the day...

And of course, I planned my move back to Washington perfectly to miss out on the freakish snowfall that had all of Tacoma (okay, let's be fair--all of western Washington!) locked indoors for a month. Us PNW folks can handle some gnarly weather... But the moment it dips below 32 and frozen crap starts falling from the sky, civilization implodes. At least in Utah they actually plow the roads...