Brrrr Southern California

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
We're forecast to get down to 37 tonight in the SF Valley. What about you? Everybody's torts warm enough tonight?

My two DTs are brumating in a chest freezer in our back yard shed. Just checked and their freezer is measuring 42 degrees. It should hold that through the night, regardless of how cold it gets out there.

Didn't expect such chilly temps when I moved from NY to LA but it's kind of cozy anyway!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Yes, it's the same temps in my area! Sooooo cold! We even have a frost advisory in effect.

It's perfect timing for my insulated tort house to be up and running though :)
Tonight when I pulled the leopards to go inside for the night, the outside temp was 53F but inside their house was a toasty 82F :)

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Team Gomberg said:
Yes, it's the same temps in my area! Sooooo cold! We even have a frost advisory in effect.

It's perfect timing for my insulated tort house to be up and running though :)
Tonight when I pulled the leopards to go inside for the night, the outside temp was 53F but inside their house was a toasty 82F :)

Man, I need to go sleep in your leopards' house. Hubby has turned off the heat for the night. Crazy warm blood.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ya, it's warmer in there than my house, too!
Well...."was" warmer. I turn off the oil filled radiator at night when I bring them in. It drops to 57-60F at night without it on.
Eventually the heat will stay on all night when the torts sleep in there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thatrebecca said:
Didn't expect such chilly temps when I moved from NY to LA but it's kind of cozy anyway!

Oh yeah! Didn't you hear from all the people who DON'T live here that we don't have "seasons"? :p

Its 33 up here at the moment! I don't care who you are or where you are from, 33 is COLD! Soon enough it will be dipping into the 20s here. Does it get colder than that elsewhere? Sure it does, but that doesn't mean you don't need warm clothes here!

Luckily, these cold spells don't last longer than two or three weeks here. We might have two or three of these cold fronts each winter. We will most likely see at least a week or two of highs in the 70s in January. :D

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386253379.931825.jpg this is us, 48f

Windy!!

Last edited by a moderator:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Actually Tom, 33 is not that cold to me. Well, in July it would be. But at this time of year, I'll take 33!

We are the opposite of you all. The last couple weeks have been daytime highs of 30ish and nighttime lows of 20ish. Until yesterday. Yesterday was a high of 60 and it never dropped during the night. I woke up to 60 degrees! Am I really in Cleveland, Ohio??

It all goes downhill starting tonight though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How funny! I've always wondered, if we're supposed to be changing over to Celsius and letting go of Fahrenheit, then why is the weather on all our TV shows shown in Fahrenheit? And then I see a picture from a member in the UK, and their weather IS shown in Celsius! I don't want to switch. I don't want to learn. I'm very happy with the status quo.

Now to the weather...

Many farmers here in the Central Valley of California grow oranges. The main headline on our local news shows this past week, the most important story, has been the weather. It is supposed to be in the lower 20's (Fahrenheit, of course) every night from now until the middle of next week. I can hear the airplane motors running the propellers in the orange fields. I look out the window, and all is white. The pond has a thick layer of ice over it. Last night the weather guy even said we MIGHT have snow flurries on the valley floor tomorrow. This is unheard of here in my area.

Time to break out the thermals!

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
I had to use a conversion on Google to get the Fahrenheit, we are all about Celsius in the uk. Would love 48 degrees Celsius!! Hahaha

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Yup. Here in Oregon I awoke to 19f outside and the tortoise shed was a toasty 82f.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Blllaaaaggghhhhh.....I am ready for summer....suppose to be 19 tonight here in the high desert...crap I tell you, crap.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Cute_Obi said:
It's 4F right now in the land of 10,000 lakes. And I HATE it!!!

Did I just read 4? Without an 0 after it? That would be the death of me. I have no clue how one deals with 4. Never been in 4. Heck we barely ever get 40. Talk about having to chill. Going back into my shell now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
After I turned off the computer this a.m., I donned my thermals, a sweater, my thick ranch jacket, a neck scarf and a stocking cap (I'm going to have to get some thick Ugg boots and thermal sox). I went out and opened tortoises houses, fed them, picked up their poop. I was comfortable in my winter duds, but my face was cold...you could tell it was pretty cold out there. And when I went into the first tortoise shed I thought, "Damn...its pretty warm in here." But when I looked at the thermometer on the wall, it was only 60F. That might be warm to me, but to my tortoises that's pretty cool. So I changed out all the black lights for the larger, 250 watt brooder bulbs, and I moved the dial up hotter on the pig blanket thermostats.

I hope this doesn't portend the coming winter weather. After it being down in the 20'sF the last two nights, I'll be plenty happy with the occasional dip down to 32F!

Cute_Obi

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Cute_Obi said:
It's 4F right now in the land of 10,000 lakes. And I HATE it!!!

Did I just read 4? Without an 0 after it? That would be the death of me. I have no clue how one deals with 4. Never been in 4. Heck we barely ever get 40. Talk about having to chill. Going back into my shell now.

Yup, 4F here today. This morning when I went out to my car my doors were frozen shut to my car. I tried all 4 doors, honestly thought I was gonna break a handle or two. Eventually got the back passenger door open and crawled to the front. What a great start to my Minnesota winter, huh :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
to my car my doors were frozen shut to my car. I tried all 4 doors, honestly thought I was gonna break a handle or two

That does suck....but made me laugh....one time here back in 2006--we had a cold blast, and that brought temps of 7 degrees (which I did not find amusing in the least, the horrors) and this happened to me as well, I freaked out and wanted to cry--but figured the drops would freeze to my face and what a mess....so I big girled up and just pulled, cussed and yanked until the door gave and opened....then I went to the pond at the place I worked at and watched the migrating birds begin to land on the pond---only to discover it was frozen and slid to a less than graceful stop (teehee) which made me realize I did not have it that bad.....lol

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
It's funny, having lived in Chicago, Boston and NY, this LA version of winter is just plain cute to me.

When I was a college student in Chicago it was -30 with wind chill and they didn't even cancel class. I walked along Lake Michigan bundled like a mummy and cursing all the way.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LA version of winter is just plain cute to me.

LOL....not cute, not cute at all....I remember when I use to live in LA County (born in the French Hospital in China Town) I think the only thing I did not like too much was the dead air days that would let the smog roll in like fog....but then I moved to the High Desert (completely by accident, like walking along and suddenly stepping in a pile of "oops") and I then encountered the first winter here in which it snowed and the temps that come along with that---I had never experienced anything like it...I opened the front door and the wind was howling and snow whirling and the cold bit at me and I slammed the door retreating back inside---in horror....absolute horror. I am still about as thrilled of that weather now as that very first assault....ick.

have to say...I love all of the other times of year here ....absolutely perfect, so hence why we are still here....

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yep. We put up with a lot in California (higher and many taxes, often times disguised as "fees" or even as flood "insurance" which is the biggest bogus of them all) because of the kicking weather. The lovely weather enables others to take advantage of us, the residency. We are suckers, waaa-waaa-waaa. But hey, at least our tortoises love the whole package. Sun, shelter, someone always (hopefully) looking out for your well being. I want to be a TFO member's tortoise in So Cal in my next life. Hopefully I have enough karma points.