Bruising

Status
Not open for further replies.

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane, Washington
I've noticed that Josh is getting pressure 'bruising' on one hind leg where her shell rubs, front and back.

It concerns me. Is there anything I should be doing for this?

Also, do you know, I've never seen her pull in her front or back legs at all, or her head fully.

I'm wondering if she's chunky.

And I'm hoping, really hoping, no one is going to tell me her back leg might be getting puffy because of renal failure. I've poked a bit. Doesn't feel like fluid.

I suppose I had better take a picture. <reluctant>

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Can we see some pics? I know being chubby isnt good for torts, but few things bring a bigger smile to my face than that of a chubby tortoise

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Spokane, Washington
Yeah. My camera's charging. I'll take some after the Big Feast.

She doesn't seem all that chunky to me, not after seeing pictures of Maggie's fat Russian, but I do know she's put on several grams since she stopped showing URI symptoms.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Did she get Baytril injections? Sometimes Baytril causes quite a bit of soreness at the injection site, and occasionally dying tissue.

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Spokane, Washington
She did get Baytril injections, but in the front legs.

Here is her butt shot:

Josh's rear.

Tell me she looks chubby but not puffy. I really don't want to hear puffy.

Here is a leg shot. I took several but for some reason could only manage blurry. The 'bruise' is on the upper right. She has a similar one on the underside of her leg. The skin is not broken but when she's at rest it is fairly obvious the edge of her shell is pressing at those points.

Josh's leg.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
renal failure usually has fluid retention in both legs, I wouldn't worry about that.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
If you don't see any "puffiness" anywhere else[head--neck] I would just continue to hydrate[especially because of the med's] and keep an eye on it. Maybe a small piece of substrate "rubbed her the wrong way" after a soak when the skin was more pliable---and caused a weak spot. JMO

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Spokane, Washington
Laura said:
that doesnt look normal.. but i cant tell you whats wrong.
What is activity level and appetite? Diet?

Her activity level has improved since I got her heat/lighting and URI under control, but if she had a choice between basking and walking a mile I'm fairly sure she'd still choose basking.

And she eats like a pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.