Brumation Mentor wanted please (UK)

molliemoo

Location (City and/or State)
Coventry, West Midlands
Hi opening new thread as looking for a mentor - I say UK based as timing etc based on our crazy weather is what's stressing me out a bit.. First time for me, had Trigger since last year didn't hibernate him last year as was advised too soon as new owner and not knowing anything about him (rescue found roaming the streets!)..

Any help greatly appreciated...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm yo huckleberry. Brumation is the same anywhere in the world. You have to have the means to give your tortoise the conditions it needs, on YOUR timeframe, regardless of what the weather is doing.

Start here. Questions are welcome:

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
What method are you planning to use? I and many others recommend the fridge method, since it gives you the most control

Do you have a proper indoor set up for your tortoise? If not, I recommend you set up one, even just as a back up plan. If your tortoise gets sick or just won't brumate it is good to have an indoor enclosure ready to keep your tortoise up.

How long are you planning on brumating?

@Lyn W is UK based and might be able to help you with the UK timing.

molliemoo

Coventry, West Midlands
Hi Lyn, yes I have an indoor enclosure he uses when weather not too good. I definitely will use fridge method.. I'm a bit of a control freak so need as much control as possible to make it successful.. I was thinking 8 weeks as first time for me and not sure for him.. whats your thoughts ?

MaNaAk

Southend
Hi opening new thread as looking for a mentor - I say UK based as timing etc based on our crazy weather is what's stressing me out a bit.. First time for me, had Trigger since last year didn't hibernate him last year as was advised too soon as new owner and not knowing anything about him (rescue found roaming the streets!)..

Any help greatly appreciated...
Dear @molliemoo,

How old is Trigger? Please could we see pictures of him. Also how big is he? Just noticed that you said he was roaming for a pre-hibernation checkup in October to see if she is fit for hibernation. I think really they are making sure that she is the correct weight. Jacky normally thinks about hibernating in September when she gradually slows down and eats so I shall probably make an appointment with the vet then. Once I hear from you I can guide you through natural hibernation or fridge hibernation which Jacky did for the first time last winter.

Natrah

MaNaAk

Southend
Dear @molliemoo,

How old is Trigger? Please could we see pictures of him. Also how big is he? Just noticed that you said he was roaming for a pre-hibernation checkup in October to see if she is fit for hibernation. I think really they are making sure that she is the correct weight. Jacky normally thinks about hibernating in September when she gradually slows down and eats so I shall probably make an appointment with the vet then. Once I hear from you I can guide you through natural hibernation or fridge hibernation which Jacky did for the first time last winter.

Natrah
Dear Sue (@MoggyMad)

You might be interested in this thread

Natrah

molliemoo

Coventry, West Midlands
Dear @molliemoo,

Natrah
Hi, Trigger is a rescue i was told by the vet he is about 5... but everyone on this forum seems to think its impossible to age him!?... Reason I am thinking November time is want to make the most of our seasons that have really moved ie always still nice now in sept/oct ! just remeasured him on new scales and his is 700g, 7inches top shell and 5 inches belly. Will defo do fridge so yes all the help needed :)

Attachments

• trigger_2023.jpg
    trigger_2023.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

MaNaAk

Southend
Hi, Trigger is a rescue i was told by the vet he is about 5... but everyone on this forum seems to think its impossible to age him!?... Reason I am thinking November time is want to make the most of our seasons that have really moved ie always still nice now in sept/oct ! just remeasured him on new scales and his is 700g, 7inches top shell and 5 inches belly. Will defo do fridge so yes all the help needed :)
November is a good time for full hibernation. Try following my Jacky and Daisy thread to see what we're doing.

Natrah

PS: Trigger you're gorgeous ❤️