Brunation and mice

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
I've successfully brunated my Eastern boxie group for 10 years each winter (outside) now and have run into something I haven't dealt with before.

All summer I've had a few mice running around their pens. No consequences have occurred so I've left them alone. As I get the outdoor pens ready, I'm hesitant about the dormate turtles and mice.

I would think the mice would be interested in the insulation and not turtle, thoughts?

The brunation pens are 2 feet x 2feet (for each turtle), lined with 2 inch styrofoam, 20 inches of soil to burry in (our freeze line is 9 inches), with another 15 inches of straw on top for good measure.

Thanks in advance for thoughts and experiences.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I've not had it happen to me, but mice can and do inflict terrible damage to torts. They're opportunistic feeders and even a brumating snake is not truly safe. Rodents love protein, ( that's why you don't find shed antlers) and stay active in the winter.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Mice, rats, even chipmunks will eat hibernating turtles. Rats, of course will kill and eat them. Mice are toe and feet eaters. It's a risk.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Ditto Yagyujubei
I wouldn't leave the mice in there. You can find moose, elk, and deer antler sheds chewed extensively from laying on the ground all winter and small mammals are the culprits. Your tortoises shells would be a great winter source of calcium and a good chew toy to keep those every-growing teeth down for the mice.

There are lots of mice in the world! I'd get some snap traps and start thinning the ones in your brumation pens down.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the advice all, I'll be trapping and getting those little buggers out of there!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I'd run those traps all winter. Peanut butter makes an excellent bait. You can mix it with oats to give it a more "clay-like" texture, making it easier to set in the triggers.

I'm not a huge fan of Decon. It's a good way to introduce a toxin into native ecosystems if the mice eat it, run off, and die. This leaves freshly poisoned carrion for other scavengers.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I agree to avoid Decon and all poisons.

Traps can be gruesome, but effective and glue boards are also gruesome, but work even better than traps. I have used little mouse "hav-a-heart" like traps, but they stopped making them and you have to check them everyday or again gruesome.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
I originally planned on putting hardware clothe on the bottom of my pen though we moved to a different area where rats where not a problem. Though I may end up putting it on the bottom any way when we move again. Use 1/2 inch spacing hardware cloth it will generally keep mice out (at least when if they are coming up from below. Though you may need to put a lid on your pen if you don't already have one. Mice are very good climbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.