Bug:Greens:Fruit ratio?

aidenb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan, Canada
Long story short. I took in a very sickly year old three toed box turtle (shell rot, very deformed shell, some mbd and soft shell, beak problems, and potentially a minor eye infection). I have a sulcata, cherryhead, and hermanns tortoise so lots of tort experience but no boxie experience. He's all set up in a nice humid chamber like a baby sulcata (he's only 2" right now) so he should be happy as he's got a big dish to soak, proper temps, and good UVB. What I can't seem to find anywhere online is what the ratio of bugs to fruit and greens is?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have read its 50-60% animal matter- bugs, eggs, high quality dog food, chicken breast, worms
Veggies-20-30%Summer and winter squashes, peas in the pod, sweet potatoes, okra, grated carrots, green beans, wax beans and cactus pads
10% dark leaf greens and broadbase weeds
10% fruit.
Not sure if this is 100% right, but I use this as a guide for mine.

Dean Wirth

Alberta
It varies from turtle to turtle, younger box turtles eat more worms and crickets, as they get older they tend to move to greens and fruit. At 2 inches my guess is it would be getting pretty into the greens. Strawberries are irresistible to box turtles, as to exact percentages your turtle will let you know what it likes and ignore the rest.