Bugs.....need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesst

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
So I have little gnats and black ants in my enclosures I think because of the plants I have in there. can I replace the dirt and soil with coco coir for my succulents, aloe and spider plants and will they still survive? Was also thinking about eucalyptus mulch for their enclosure but worried about them since they are still babies.....any thoughts?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I switched to coir because I had the little flying bugs. I don't have the flying bugs. However there is still bugs in the substrate. They stay within it and I never see them unless I dig in it. Never seen them on my tort. If you do switch to coir, bake it or try freezing it before using and it might keep all bugs away? I have no idea about the eucalyptus.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Thank you. My substrate is coir but I think the bugs came and live in the dirt in my plants.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Hi, the plants i have in my enclosure i planted in little pots and I made my own mixture of coco coir and pool sand, then i added in miracle grow organic bloodmeal and bone meal, the plants are alot healthier than the organic miracle grow potting soil i had them in. I have planted spider plant aloe, jade tree and 3 cactus pads that all sproted nice pad at the top with in 2 weeks. I have a cheap floresent grow light above them from walmart.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
so i guess they are springtails and not sure i will ever be able to get rid of them since they live in moist ground. I keep the substrate for both my torts very moist and humid, i thought they came from the aloe and succulents that i just put in their enclosure. Im going to change out the dirt in my plants and see if that helps and maybe try some eucalyptus mulch....if it is safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.