Bugs

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Grants Pass Oregon
we just finished making a new outdoor enclosure and planted some flowers and other plants which the earwigs promptly ate last night anyone have any ideas on what to do since spraying is obviously out of the question?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
diatomaceous earth. Also, Sevin dust is ok to use around tortoises.

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Thank you I will look into those, only concern is if anything is white Sheldon will try and eat it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Food grade DE is safe to ingest non-toxic

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
DE is great! I use it a lot in my chicken coops! It’s kills all bugs! And it’s actually safe to eat as dmmj says as long as it is Food Grade

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
not by intention, but simply the nature of where I live, earwigs are in all my indoor enclosures, including many with live growing plants. The earwigs are part of the cleanup crew, and eat tortoise feces as well as food tracked away from the food tiles or platters.

The point is, mix soft organic matter into the soil so they have an easier to eat food source.

FWIW there has never been any noticeable downside of earwigs in the tortoise enclosures. Even when I pick them up they don't pinch. Although I recall someone saying it hurts bad, almost like they have a venom (they don't).

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
not by intention, but simply the nature of where I live, earwigs are in all my indoor enclosures, including many with live growing plants. The earwigs are part of the cleanup crew, and eat tortoise feces as well as food tracked away from the food tiles or platters.

The point is, mix soft organic matter into the soil so they have an easier to eat food source.

FWIW there has never been any noticeable downside of earwigs in the tortoise enclosures. Even when I pick them up they don't pinch. Although I recall someone saying it hurts bad, almost like they have a venom (they don't).
I can vouch that the bite hurts bad, I had one in the finger of my garden glove when I put it on it of course bit me. It hurt and stung so bad I actually I thought it had some kind of venom :eek: I live in the country and know I will have lots of critters thank you for all your help

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
C304550F-3F74-4813-BF40-ADAB6E3D8F5B.jpeg So one of my coworkers mentioned putting a tuna can or cat food can filled with vegetable oil by your plants at night will catch the earwigs. I was a little skeptical but tried it anyway all I can say is WOW! It totally works not a nibble on the new plants and beat of all no poison of any kind I just put in in at night and take it out in the morning

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
View attachment 277023 So one of my coworkers mentioned putting a tuna can or cat food can filled with vegetable oil by your plants at night will catch the earwigs. I was a little skeptical but tried it anyway all I can say is WOW! It totally works not a nibble on the new plants and beat of all no poison of any kind I just put in in at night and take it out in the morning
What a good idea, and simple solution!