Building a Indoor enclosure, need some help

Turtle001

Hi so I'm building my tortoise an indoor enclouser for my Russian tortoise Herbert it's 3x6 ft with 18in high walls.
I would love some help with the following questions/ concerns:
•What wood should I use, is any wood safe?
•Should I screw the enclosure together or will I need to calk it as well?
•What sealant should I use on the inside do I need it?
•Do I need a tarp beneath my substrate?
•How long should I leave it before putting my tortoise inside?
•And how should I attach my lighting, I have a long Uvb light so I can't clip it on?
•also could I paint it or will that be harmful?

Thanks so so much!

Last edited:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Don't use cedar. You can seal it and paint it or use a liner to protect the wood from moisture. I hang my lights with chains from the ceiling.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I've always used bookcases as the frames of my tortoise tables. Comes in 6 pieces of wood. No cutting wood involved, just take he pieces out of the box, assemble using some L brackets on the corners and flat brackets fastened to the wood to attach the lengthwise pieces together to form the sides. Fit a thick pond liner in it and fold excess over the sides and clamp down in a presentable fashion using binder clips.

I like a mix of cypress or orchid bark bedding with coconut coir as substrate.

For light mounting, I make a lamp stand out of two or three pieces of wood (depending on if you want a base for it or you just attach the arm to the side of the table).
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445035854.880617.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I used killz paint low fume and waited about a week. I lined it with a tarp. I used plant hanger brackets to hang my lights from.

Turtle001

I've always used bookcases as the frames of my tortoise tables. Comes in 6 pieces of wood. No cutting wood involved, just take he pieces out of the box, assemble using some L brackets on the corners and flat brackets fastened to the wood to attach the lengthwise pieces together to form the sides. Fit a thick pond liner in it and fold excess over the sides and clamp down in a presentable fashion using binder clips.

I like a mix of cypress or orchid bark bedding with coconut coir as substrate.

For light mounting, I make a lamp stand out of two or three pieces of wood (depending on if you want a base for it or you just attach the arm to the side of the table).
View attachment 152740
Thanks for this great idea! I decied to use my old bookcase as my new tortoise enclosure and you're right it works very well the demensions are almost perfect!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Thanks for this great idea! I decied to use my old bookcase as my new tortoise enclosure and you're right it works very well the demensions are almost perfect!

Post pictures when you get a chance!

Turtle001

Post pictures when you get a chance!

This is the intial setup, I of course need more hides and rocks and fun things for him to climb on but I just finished setting it all up and Herbert's still exploring :) I also realize the opposite end is a little lacking in heat im currently still saving for a ceramic bulb that won't submit so much light. image.jpgimage.jpg

One last question, do you or anyone else have problems with tortoise moving through substrate I use Eco earth loose coconut fiber which is the constancy of dirt but my tortoise seems to push through it and it builds up a lot around his face and gets stuck to his arms, he sort of slips through it. What can I do?

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
One last question, do you or anyone else have problems with tortoise moving through substrate I use Eco earth loose coconut fiber which is the constancy of dirt but my tortoise seems to push through it and it builds up a lot around his face and gets stuck to his arms, he sort of slips through it. What can I do?

Yes, that's part of why I use a mix of cypress and coconut coir. I also recommend attaching the liner to the sides somehow, even better if you can extend it up the sides. You may find the tortoise getting stuck between the liner and the wooden sides.