Building a new tortoise table for my hermann

DwardHermannOwner

Location (City and/or State)
England
Thank you so much everyone for the replies.
it’s quite hard getting to grips with everything they would need especially after your little friend is already with you.
I’m now looking into the lampshades and was thinking of just ordering off of amazon, I saw one that I thought was good but the review scared me because someone said that it wasn’t the bulb was too strong for the shade and it nearly burnt through.
I wanted to know if anyone had one from Amazon that I can get for both the flood light and the CHE.
I’ve attached a picture of one from the Arcadia brand that i’ve seen on Amazon, let me know your thoughts

Attachments

• IMG_0083.png
    IMG_0083.png
    216.5 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you so much everyone for the replies.
it’s quite hard getting to grips with everything they would need especially after your little friend is already with you.
I’m now looking into the lampshades and was thinking of just ordering off of amazon, I saw one that I thought was good but the review scared me because someone said that it wasn’t the bulb was too strong for the shade and it nearly burnt through.
I wanted to know if anyone had one from Amazon that I can get for both the flood light and the CHE.
I’ve attached a picture of one from the Arcadia brand that i’ve seen on Amazon, let me know your thoughts
You can also check lamp domes on SwellReptile - https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/re...product_list_dir=asc&product_list_order=price
It seems they finally have wide domes in stock now.
For ceramic heat emitter wide domes (20 cm and wider) are preferred. Just as a reminder - it's better and safer to hang lamps instead of using clamps.

The Arcadia dome is just 14 cm. While it has nice wide projection area, the central spot is significantly hotter. I use it for a bearded dragon and it works great, no issues with the build quality. However for a tortoise I would opt for a wider and more shallow dome.

DwardHermannOwner

England
You can also check lamp domes on SwellReptile - https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/re...product_list_dir=asc&product_list_order=price
It seems they finally have wide domes in stock now.
For ceramic heat emitter wide domes (20 cm and wider) are preferred. Just as a reminder - it's better and safer to hang lamps instead of using clamps.

The Arcadia dome is just 14 cm. While it has nice wide projection area, the central spot is significantly hotter. I use it for a bearded dragon and it works great, no issues with the build quality. However for a tortoise I would opt for a wider and more shallow dome.
Hello!
Yes, I was going to ditch the clamps as was told that it’s too dangerous as it might fall off I also Thought it wouldn’t be easily adjustable for the temperature so instead have bought a couple of the stands that the bulbs hook onto overhead (Hope that makes sense)

Ah I see, I’m glad you told me that the smaller ones would have emitted a lot more heat I would never have known. I’ll have a look on the website you posted and look for the wider domes.

thanks so much!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
Yes, I was going to ditch the clamps as was told that it’s too dangerous as it might fall off I also Thought it wouldn’t be easily adjustable for the temperature so instead have bought a couple of the stands that the bulbs hook onto overhead (Hope that makes sense)

Ah I see, I’m glad you told me that the smaller ones would have emitted a lot more heat I would never have known. I’ll have a look on the website you posted and look for the wider domes.

thanks so much!
Lamp stands with hooks are good alternative to clamps.
Smaller domes don't emit more heat but make it concentrated over smaller area (not bad for lizard basking spots), large domes dissipate it over larger area (good for ambient heating and tortoise basking zones).

SwellReptile also has choice of substrates and such under their brand - often cheaper than the same things from ZooMed, for example.

DwardHermannOwner

England
Lamp stands with hooks are good alternative to clamps.
Smaller domes don't emit more heat but make it concentrated over smaller area (not bad for lizard basking spots), large domes dissipate it over larger area (good for ambient heating and tortoise basking zones).

SwellReptile also has choice of substrates and such under their brand - often cheaper than the same things from ZooMed, for example.
Hi Alex, thanks so much for the advice. I’m thinking of getting two of the large ones I’ve attached here. Seem to be able to use them for all bulbs. Although I’m not sure exactly what a mercury bulb is.
The width of the dome is about 8.5 inches

Attachments

• IMG_0085.png
    IMG_0085.png
    449 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi Alex, thanks so much for the advice. I’m thinking of getting two of the large ones I’ve attached here. Seem to be able to use them for all bulbs. Although I’m not sure exactly what a mercury bulb is.
The width of the dome is about 8.5 inches
Yes, they will be suitable both for CHE and flood basking bulb. And Reptile Systems is a good brand.

Mercury vapour bulbs are "all-in-one" bulbs - heating, UVB and visible light. Less flexible than separate lamps, shorter lifespan, bad spectrum and desiccating for shells. Stay away from them :)

DwardHermannOwner

England
Yes, they will be suitable both for CHE and flood basking bulb. And Reptile Systems is a good brand.

Mercury vapour bulbs are "all-in-one" bulbs - heating, UVB and visible light. Less flexible than separate lamps, shorter lifespan, bad spectrum and desiccating for shells. Stay away from them :)
Perfect, thanks for giving them the go ahead.
also you were right the substrate on swell is so much cheaper than when I had previously ordered from Amazon, shocking.

thanks for all the recommendations