Building an enclosure for my Russian

Location (City and/or State)
cleveland ohio
Hey everyone! So I got my Russian tortoise Iroh about two months ago. He was very sick for these past two months and I was told he would most likely die, BUT I persisted and tried everything I could find on the internet and here we are two months later! He just started having a regular eating routine a few days ago and he’s drinking and seems to be healthy again (or at least on the right direction). Since things have been better I’m going to build him a tort table so he has more space. I wanted to do it earlier but I thought it would be best to wait until he was healthy again. Anyway I was thinking a 4x4 open top, possible two levels. Anyway I was just looking for some advice on building a table. What type of wood, any designs someone may already have, etc. thanks guys!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoises require quite a bit of space. I don't think 4x4 is big enough, even with an upper level.

I'm glad you've gotten him well again. That's a big hurdle you've overcome. And because of that, I'm going against our usual advice and asking that you keep the tortoise in the same small area you have had him in these past 2 months. Making a change while he's still trying to become healthy is liable to send him backwards. They don't like change. It's very stressful.

Set up a temporary area outside where you can take him out for an hour or so a day to sit in the sun. Then bring him back in to his indoor area. Be sure the temporary outside place is very secure, as they are great climbers and escape artists.

cleveland ohio
Russian tortoises require quite a bit of space. I don't think 4x4 is big enough, even with an upper level.

I'm glad you've gotten him well again. That's a big hurdle you've overcome. And because of that, I'm going against our usual advice and asking that you keep the tortoise in the same small area you have had him in these past 2 months. Making a change while he's still trying to become healthy is liable to send him backwards. They don't like change. It's very stressful.

Set up a temporary area outside where you can take him out for an hour or so a day to sit in the sun. Then bring him back in to his indoor area. Be sure the temporary outside place is very secure, as they are great climbers and escape artists.

Yeah I was going to keep him in the 20 gallon for another few weeks or a month but I was going to start building the table in the mean time. I’ve seen a few people who have 4x4’s on YouTube, but I know a lot of people say the minimum is 4x8. I would like to do that but I may not have enough room in my apartment. I just moved in and I placed him in the warmest area in the apartment (I’m hoping that was one of the reasons he started eating).

For the outdoor enclosure, I’m in an apartment so I can’t just leave one outside, but I usually go outside and sit and watch him for an hour at a local park.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Plywood, timber, and pallets are generally the cheapest building material. Sealants, tarps, liquid rubber, and pond epoxy to treat or line the wood. Consider PVC for a more permanent solution.

2 story enclosures will often require double the amount of light fixtures. For a Russian tortoise you'll be required to have a basking and UVB fixture for each level. Even more expensive if you only use Mercury vapor bulbs.

Some people will use clamps and try to position their fixture(s) at an angle so they only need to use one fixture to light up both levels. That is not effective nor is it good to have a side facing light fixture glaring that close within a tortoise's eye view for 12 hours a day, everyday.

An outdoor enclosure is essential for outdoor visits. Russians require water, hide spots, shade, and substrate in any environment. Simply putting them on the grass at the local park without any protection from outside dangers could be potentially disastrous.

cleveland ohio
Plywood, timber, and pallets are generally the cheapest building material. Sealants, tarps, liquid rubber, and pond epoxy to treat or line the wood. Consider PVC for a more permanent solution.

2 story enclosures will often require double the amount of light fixtures. For a Russian tortoise you'll be required to have a basking and UVB fixture for each level. Even more expensive if you only use Mercury vapor bulbs.

Some people will use clamps and try to position their fixture(s) at an angle so they only need to use one fixture to light up both levels. That is not effective nor is it good to have a side facing light fixture glaring that close within a tortoise's eye view for 12 hours a day, everyday.

An outdoor enclosure is essential for outdoor visits. Russians require water, hide spots, shade, and substrate in any environment. Simply putting them on the grass at the local park without any protection from outside dangers could be potentially disastrous.

When I take him outside I bring his hiding spot with us and his water dish. I didn’t think substrate would be needed. From a lot of the outdoor enclosures I’ve seen it’s usually something with no bottom that people place on the grass and let the tortoise roam. Considering I’m in an apartment what kind of outdoor enclosure would you suggest that’s easily portable?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
When I take him outside I bring his hiding spot with us and his water dish. I didn’t think substrate would be needed. From a lot of the outdoor enclosures I’ve seen it’s usually something with no bottom that people place on the grass and let the tortoise roam. Considering I’m in an apartment what kind of outdoor enclosure would you suggest that’s easily portable?

What outdoor enclosures are you using for comparison? Outdoor enclosures in a private property where conditions are more controllable? Or a space one considers an outdoor enclosure that doesn't include protective fencing in public property where people and inhabitants roam freely?

Russian tortoises are known to burrow. Any outdoor enclosures should have preventative measures for that in mind.

Some people would recommend large cement mixing tubs. It works. It's cheap. But it doesn't have a protection cage so you'll have to constantly watch over your tortoise.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756GBCJ1/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Hamster cages like this would an upgrade. This hamster cage in particular, while only 4 x 2 feet, would have everything you need. Flat bottom with room for substrate. Exposed but protection top for sunlight. For a temporary short duration travel enclosure the dimensions are adequate.

You could instead buy portable fencing if you wish. Though quality does come with price.