Building Enclosure help

Chubbs the tegu

Location (City and/or State)
Ma

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Depending on the length of enclosure ur planning on u may want to put a center brace to prevent sag ( anything over 6 ft

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
glad you received some good advice. I had my 4 x 8enclosure built out of treated wood and lined it with pond liner, but I have moisture issues on the doors that I cannot fully eradicate, and the copper in the treated wood seems to be shifting around with the water. The issue was my placing of the heat lamps, because if I had a heat lamp next to each door, I assume the condensation would no longer collect. I cannot remedy this as the doors/plexiglass area is too large and cannot be modified for hanging lights. I wrapped a shower curtain around the doors which helps.

but anyway, my mistake just reinforces your reasoning for a PVC enclosure. Good luck in your build.

Attachments

• 20201108_171141.jpg
    20201108_171141.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Michigan
glad you received some good advice. I had my 4 x 8enclosure built out of treated wood and lined it with pond liner, but I have moisture issues on the doors that I cannot fully eradicate, and the copper in the treated wood seems to be shifting around with the water. The issue was my placing of the heat lamps, because if I had a heat lamp next to each door, I assume the condensation would no longer collect. I cannot remedy this as the doors/plexiglass area is too large and cannot be modified for hanging lights. I wrapped a shower curtain around the doors which helps.

but anyway, my mistake just reinforces your reasoning for a PVC enclosure. Good luck in your build.
That really sucks ☹️ Wish you luck! Thanks for all your help!

pcrealty

Wynnewood
Hi! I am working on building a more suitable enclosure for my tortoise (out of wood obviously) However, I was curious if anybody who has a wooden closed chamber enclosure has issues with the wood getting too wet or moldy over time? If it does, is there anything I can do to prevent it, like maybe line the inside with something? This may be a weird question but thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Tortoise Bunkers.jpg
    Tortoise Bunkers.jpg
    761.7 KB · Views: 24
  • tortoise bunkers 3.jpg
    tortoise bunkers 3.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 25
  • tortoise bunkers 4.jpg
    tortoise bunkers 4.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 24

pcrealty

Wynnewood
With the heat basking and UV lamps on most of the times, the enclosures are relatively dry. In fact the water dishes evaporate faster. We have two homes and created two bunkers homes, see photographs. Both are very healthy.

pcrealty

Wynnewood
With the heat basking and UV lamps on most of the times, the enclosures are relatively dry. In fact the water dishes evaporate faster. We have two homes and created two bunkers homes, see photographs. Both are very healthy.
I have a plastic liner on the bottom area of enclosures. The water and food dishes are placed over one sheet of paper towel. Soaking the torts twice a day in warm water stimulates excretion. The enclosures are 90% free of tort waste. Rarely there are tort accidents inside the enclosures.

KT1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Skokie
@Chubbs the tegu would cedar hold up to the moisture and humidity?
Let me say, I know nothing about wood, but have a cedar fence and it’s 17 years old i’m still standing.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Cedar has been known to cause respiratory issues in reptiles... i wouldnt use it myself

• Wow
Reactions: KT1

KT1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Skokie
Yikes, glad I asked.
Thanks