Bulb keeps turning off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleym

5 Year Member
Sorry, quick typing right now to tend to sick child. I've never experienced this before until this morning. My bulb is in the same lamp it's always in. I think it's an 11-ish inch dome with the ceramic and it is face down. It keeps wanting to go out. I have to unplug the fixture for a few minutes and plug it back in to turn it back on and then it's fine again. What's going on? It has done this now about 4 times today already. Not good at all!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What kind of lamp is it ? If it's a self ballasted vapor lamp the lamp is bad . The element is heating up and opening up . Then cooling down and closing then coming back on . Or you need to screw the lamp in the holder all the way . But you may have already checked that .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Try cutting down some of the heat in the enclosure. If you have a heat emitter on at the same time as the bulb, the heat may build up to a point that it will trigger an temporary outage. When the heat near the bulb is lower, the bulb will not do this. Now, Mike is probably right about the lamp, but this too has happened to me and I had to shut off the emitter in order to stop the bulb from shutting off everytime. Waiting 15 minutes (safety feature) each time to turn it back on is a pain!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
mike taylor said:
What kind of lamp is it ? If it's a self ballasted vapor lamp the lamp is bad . The element is heating up and opening up . Then cooling down and closing then coming back on . Or you need to screw the lamp in the holder all the way . But you may have already checked that .

BINGO! *****:D

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I thought that the overheat safety feature would also turn the bulb back on after the 30 minute delay. May vary by brand.

Does anyone know how each of the brands/models handle the overheat situation?

ashleym

5 Year Member
mike taylor said:

I'm using a Solar Glo in a light fixture that my S/O used to have in the garage. It's got the ceramic base and a pretty big, deep dome. It hasn't done it since I posted this, which is sort of odd since I haven't made any adjustments to it at all. Oh wait.. actually, I did make an adjustment. I thought maybe the bulb was bad so I took it out and replaced it with a lower wattage regular house bulb. That worked, and then a little later I put the Solar Glo back in to test it again. Since then it hasn't cut off on me. Odd? Maybe it just wasn't screwed in tight enough the first time?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep the old loose lamp ! ;)

ashleym

5 Year Member
mike taylor said:
Yep the old loose lamp ! ;)

Haha! Great, and apparently it was thread worthy. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Glad you posted this. Both of my SolarGlo lamps have been doing that. One I just removed and set aside and borrowed someone else's. I have a power sun on order.

Think its an issue with the Solar Glo?

-------
Sandy
Oregon-Washington Tortoise Rescue

Mo the Sulcata
Larry the Jordanian Greek
Curly the Eastern Hermanni
....baby Sulcata on the way!
Lola the Basenji
Dexter the Basenji
John the boyfriend stuck in Kansas...so I get more tortoises!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The deep domes are not good for MVBs. You need a wide shallow dome with vent holes at the top. The deep domes are not 11" across. Can you measure? Check for vents?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm using a large metal clamp lamp (from hardware store, sans clamp...it's hanging).
A few small vents.

???

Crappy bulb perphaps?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.