Timer plug keeps blowing UVA spotlight bulb. Help?

ayrgrn

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello,

I have a 50w UVA Arcadia Spotlight bulb, with a dome reflector, fixed into an Arcadia light fixture, plugged into a wall timer that is set on 7am - 7pm. Over the past few months, the bulb keeps blowing.
Over the past 3 months I have gone through about 7 50w bulbs due to them blowing, £4.50 a piece so I've lost around £30 now and it's getting a tad annoying.

I first thought it was the light fixture so I bought a new Arcadia one for £14, but it keeps happening, so I have to assume that it is the timer that's doing it. When I take it out of the timer, the bulb seems to be fine.

I tried doing it manually for a few days but I am slightly inconsistent when it comes to turning it on in the mornings and off at nights.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I try a different timer and risk another bulb being blown?

Thanks in advance,
ayrgrn

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Can you install a regular bulb to see if maybe it is something in the timer? If it works plugs directly in the wall it may be the timer. Have you tried replacing the timer?

Tes

The Netherlands
Which type of fixture are you using? My bulbs did the same when using a plastic + metal fixture, but I've switch to a ceramic fixture now and that seems to have solved the problem.

ayrgrn

UK
Which type of fixture are you using? My bulbs did the same when using a plastic + metal fixture, but I've switch to a ceramic fixture now and that seems to have solved the problem.
Yeah I'm using an Arcadia Ceramic fixture so that's not the issue. Thanks though :)

ayrgrn

UK
Can you install a regular bulb to see if maybe it is something in the timer? If it works plugs directly in the wall it may be the timer. Have you tried replacing the timer?

I haven't tried that, no. I have tried plugging it in without the timer and it seemed to be fine but I didn't really leave it long enough though I don't think. I might try it with a normal bulb. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
mine blow about every 4 months but if i turn it off i cant turn it on right away i have to wait ten minutes after ive turned it off dont know why

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
mine blow about every 4 months but if i turn it off i cant turn it on right away i have to wait ten minutes after ive turned it off dont know why
Because that's just how they do. That part is normal, but blowing it, sounds like plastic receptacle or a short

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
the wire inside it burns up or some thing else breaks but i heard you should replace them every 6 months so i have to replace them anyway

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
the wire inside it burns up or some thing else breaks but i heard you should replace them every 6 months so i have to replace them anyway
Hmmm, I am not an expert of anything. But I actually have 150 watt UVB blubs that are over 15 years old and still being used. Of course, experts here say those blubs desiccate carapaces and are old fashioned now, I use them for other things, but my sockets, timers etc are old and I've only had a couple go bad. My point is my crap is almost 20 years old and the only thing to go out are older bulbs. Something's wrong with your stuff

ayrgrn

UK
Hmmm, I am not an expert of anything. But I actually have 150 watt UVB blubs that are over 15 years old and still being used. Of course, experts here say those blubs desiccate carapaces and are old fashioned now, I use them for other things, but my sockets, timers etc are old and I've only had a couple go bad. My point is my crap is almost 20 years old and the only thing to go out are older bulbs. Something's wrong with your stuff
Damn I wish my stuff was that durable. I'm buying my bulbs brand new from the shop so I don't see why there would be something wrong with that :?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,

I have a 50w UVA Arcadia Spotlight bulb, with a dome reflector, fixed into an Arcadia light fixture, plugged into a wall timer that is set on 7am - 7pm. Over the past few months, the bulb keeps blowing.
Over the past 3 months I have gone through about 7 50w bulbs due to them blowing, £4.50 a piece so I've lost around £30 now and it's getting a tad annoying.

I first thought it was the light fixture so I bought a new Arcadia one for £14, but it keeps happening, so I have to assume that it is the timer that's doing it. When I take it out of the timer, the bulb seems to be fine.

I tried doing it manually for a few days but I am slightly inconsistent when it comes to turning it on in the mornings and off at nights.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I try a different timer and risk another bulb being blown?

Thanks in advance,
ayrgrn
I can help.

Stop using pet store bulbs and don't use spot bulbs. These desiccate the carapace and contribute to pyramiding. Just use regular incandescent flood bulbs from the hardware store.

If you are using a new fixture with a ceramic base, the problem must be with the timer. I use the heavy duty appliance timers for my bulbs. They cost about $15 at any hardware store.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm not sure if our DIY stores in the UK sell the sort of bulbs Tom uses now since the bulb types changed but it may be worth trying.

If the dome you are using is a deep dome rather than a wide dome then they can make the bulbs overheat. I've not used an Arcadia dome as the ones online seemed to be deep rather than wide.

Is the bulb just a basking bulb or the UVB type (Arcadia D3 MVB bulb)?

ayrgrn

UK
I can help.

Stop using pet store bulbs and don't use spot bulbs. These desiccate the carapace and contribute to pyramiding. Just use regular incandescent flood bulbs from the hardware store.

If you are using a new fixture with a ceramic base, the problem must be with the timer. I use the heavy duty appliance timers for my bulbs. They cost about $15 at any hardware store.

Oh are the Arcadia 50w basking spotlights no good? I thought they were the best to get!

I will have a look in my local hardware store but as @Lyn W said below, I don't think they're common in the UK.

I found an old halogen lying around in my draw yesterday so I'm using that whilst I go to the store and look for an incandescent bulb. Are halogens any good? It seems to be heating him up to 33C which is spot on.

I'm not sure if our DIY stores in the UK sell the sort of bulbs Tom uses now since the bulb types changed but it may be worth trying.

If the dome you are using is a deep dome rather than a wide dome then they can make the bulbs overheat. I've not used an Arcadia dome as the ones online seemed to be deep rather than wide.

Is the bulb just a basking bulb or the UVB type (Arcadia D3 MVB bulb)?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Oh are the Arcadia 50w basking spotlights no good? I thought they were the best to get!

I will have a look in my local hardware store but as @Lyn W said below, I don't think they're common in the UK.

I found an old halogen lying around in my draw yesterday so I'm using that whilst I go to the store and look for an incandescent bulb. Are halogens any good? It seems to be heating him up to 33C which is spot on.
I find our bulb ranges quite confusing now, so it will be interesting to see what you find.
I'm going to be changing my MVB bulb for a UVB tube as soon as I've worked out how to fit the fixture for it. When I first had my tort MVB's were recommended and have been great for my set up but seems more recent findings show that they damage/dry the shell so time for me to make the change.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Halogens aren't good either for the same reason. Just a regular inexpensive incandescent flood bulb is what you want. Or a regular round bulb in a dome type fixture can work too.

ManAlive85

London UK

You’ll find them in a good sized supermarket, the big Tesco near me stocks them, you have to look pretty hard but they are still there. They’re super cheap too so I tend to stock up on a few packs at a time.

Emmawilly

Plymouth
I can help.

What wattage for the incandescent flood bulb please? I'm overwhelmed with all the choices when I look on the Internet.

ManAlive85

London UK
It’ll depend on the size of your enclosure and whether it’s an open or closed setup. I use 60w but I’ve got a relatively small, closed chamber.
If you’ve got a bigger space or an open setup I’d say you may want to go up to 100w.

I don’t think these bulbs can get ‘too bright’ for your tortoise, it’s just a question of how much heat they kick out.

Emmawilly

Plymouth
It’ll depend on the size of your enclosure and whether it’s an open or closed setup. I use 60w but I’ve got a relatively small, closed chamber.
If you’ve got a bigger space or an open setup I’d say you may want to go up to 100w.

I don’t think these bulbs can get ‘too bright’ for your tortoise, it’s just a question of how much heat they kick out.
Thank you. I'll try a few out