Bump near tail

NormyMommy

I decides to just play it safe and have the vet take a look. I figure it's about time for him to have a wellness exam anyways, so we're here now. Fingers crossed!

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Let us know I was guessing tick too. On a side note does anyone know if we can use tick prevention or maybe natural oils to ward them off.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I hate ticks!!!! A few years back for 3 days straight I felt a weird lump on the back of my neck just under my hairline. My brother asked me, what do you keep picking at. He proceeded to look at it, and said gross dude you have a tick on you. I carried that blood sucking hitchhiker for 3 days. Still gives me the heebie-jeebies thinking about it now.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I grew up hunting and running loose in the woods. I'm not going to tell you all the places I have found ticks..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I hate ticks!!!! A few years back for 3 days straight I felt a weird lump on the back of my neck just under my hairline. My brother asked me, what do you keep picking at. He proceeded to look at it, and said gross dude you have a tick on you. I carried that blood sucking hitchhiker for 3 days. Still gives me the heebie-jeebies thinking about it now.

Gross....I am glad you pulled through, seriously....gross horror show for sure.

NormyMommy

Update. Unfortunately it wasn't a tick. The vet (who is the most qualitied reptile vet I could find in my city) said she had honestly never seen this before. She took a couple photos to post online where she can connect with other vets across the nation, and hopefully get a couple other opinions. She's leaning towards either a blood blister (even though no liquid came out when she used a syringe on it) or a hernia, though she mentioned she'd never seen a tortoise with a hernia.

The one relief was that she doesn't believe it's a tumor, so at least there's a bit of good news. I should hear from her by the end of next week at the latest.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Update. Unfortunately it wasn't a tick. The vet (who is the most qualitied reptile vet I could find in my city) said she had honestly never seen this before. She took a couple photos to post online where she can connect with other vets across the nation, and hopefully get a couple other opinions. She's leaning towards either a blood blister (even though no liquid came out when she used a syringe on it) or a hernia, though she mentioned she'd never seen a tortoise with a hernia.

The one relief was that she doesn't believe it's a tumor, so at least there's a bit of good news. I should hear from her by the end of next week at the latest.

Possibly a splinter of the substrate lodged in the skin and caused a "thing"....so did she drain whatever it was?

NormyMommy

I just heard back from her. According to the majority of options from reptile experts, they think it's a lump of tissue basically caused by the shell constantly rubbing on that area of skin. I can't remember the name or complete description to be honest. So he's going to have it removed and biopsied to be safe.