Bump near tail

NormyMommy

Hey all,

My Russian tortoise has recently (about a week ago) developed a small bump on the right side of his tail. He has a vet appointment for tomorrow, but I was hoping someone here had seen something similar and could give me a heads up as to what we might be looking at. His appetite and exercise level has been normal. Nothing seems to have changed in behavior, but I've searched the web and can't find anything even remotely similar so I'm a little worried.

153bc6p.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hey all,

My Russian tortoise has recently (about a week ago) developed a small bump on the right side of his tail. He has a vet appointment for tomorrow, but I was hoping someone here had seen something similar and could give me a heads up as to what we might be looking at. His appetite and exercise level has been normal. Nothing seems to have changed in behavior, but I've searched the web and can't find anything even remotely similar so I'm a little worried.

153bc6p.jpg

Did you closely examine it? Is it a swollen tick? Is there a point on the spot that looks like a bite spot or perhaps an injury that is a bit festered?

NormyMommy

Did you closely examine it? Is it a swollen tick? Is there a point on the spot that looks like a bite spot or perhaps an injury that is a bit festered?

I have tried examining it, but it's hard to really tell exactly what I'm looking at. I haven't seen any bite spot on the bump, but now that temperatures are rising in the Pacific Northwest I did take him outside maybe a few days before this popped up. I live in a place with a normal yard, though, in a city. I thought ticks only lived out in the country/wooded areas, is this not true? I don't believe he's had any injuries at all, but I was wondering whether or not a bug from outside had something to do with it. I can try taking a better photo tonight. It's hard since the little guy loves to squirm so much. It hasn't really changed in size over the last week, either.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have tried examining it, but it's hard to really tell exactly what I'm looking at. I haven't seen any bite spot on the bump, but now that temperatures are rising in the Pacific Northwest I did take him outside maybe a few days before this popped up. I live in a place with a normal yard, though, in a city. I thought ticks only lived out in the country/wooded areas, is this not true? I don't believe he's had any injuries at all, but I was wondering whether or not a bug from outside had something to do with it. I can try taking a better photo tonight. It's hard since the little guy loves to squirm so much. It hasn't really changed in size over the last week, either.

Google "pacific northwest tick" ...and yup, ticks even in the city....if there are trees/vegetation and furry animals and or birds...they can get around in the city...the woods are of course the prime habitat but not exclusive....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Google "pacific northwest tick" ...and yup, ticks even in the city....if there are trees/vegetation and furry animals and or birds...they can get around in the city...the woods are of course the prime habitat but not exclusive....
thanks for the idea! I found this image that really looks quite like the bump on the tortoise:

17754164_SA.jpg

NormyMommy

Wow, good to know! I'll definitely mention that to the vet tomorrow. I really appreciate your replies!

NormyMommy

thanks for the idea! I found this image that really looks quite like the bump on the tortoise:

17754164_SA.jpg

That does look incredibly similar. Thanks! Can tortoises get Lyme disease like humans, and is there anything I can do at home to help with it, or should I just leave it for the vet tomorrow? I've never dealt with ticks before so I'm unsure as to how to handle them. I've been so worried that it was a tumor or something, so this gives me hope.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

17754164_SA.jpg

Ugh, Yvonne....you had to post the really big pic....now I am going to be feeling that horror story on my skin all day ....lol....but yes, that is the freak show I was referring to....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That does look incredibly similar. Thanks! Can tortoises get Lyme disease like humans, and is there anything I can do at home to help with it, or should I just leave it for the vet tomorrow? I've never dealt with ticks before so I'm unsure as to how to handle them. I've been so worried that it was a tumor or something, so this gives me hope.

Well, some ticks have a clear view to their head...in which case you can use tweezers and grasp the entire head to remove it in one motion to be sure to dislodge the head and body in one piece, because you never pull on the body because the head will still be lodged in the flesh of the host...then burn the little ahole dead...then step on and slide the shoe across the burned little corpse to make sure you took it from alive to dead successfully....

But if the horror show of a tick that Yvonne posted is the one...then that is a bit trickier...and I would indeed cheer the vet on in the removal....that is hoping that the vet has great eyesight and some experience in that freak show....ugh

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

....that is if that item you are referring to ends up being a blood sucker.....

NormyMommy

Well, some ticks have a clear view to their head...in which case you can use tweezers and grasp the entire head to remove it in one motion to be sure to dislodge the head and body in one piece, because you never pull on the body because the head will still be lodged in the flesh of the host...then burn the little ahole dead...then step on and slide the shoe across the burned little corpse to make sure you took it from alive to dead successfully....

But if the horror show of a tick that Yvonne posted is the one...then that is a bit trickier...and I would indeed cheer the vet on in the removal....that is hoping that the vet has great eyesight and some experience in that freak show....ugh

Haha :) I definitely think I'll leave it up to the vet. Since I've never had to deal with one before I think it'll be best to let the vet handle it, not to mention I'd like to know for sure whether or not it is a tick. Here's hoping, and here's hoping pulling it out will be the end of the problem! There is gold coloring in both of those photos and it does look very similar, so I'm hopeful. Scary that ticks can live in a normal backyard. I did some reading on ticks in tortoises, too, and it looks like the most common area to find them is between the shell and skin, which seems to be where this is. Fingers crossed, especially since this poor little guy has had such a rough life already. Thanks for all the help!

Bambam1989

East Texas
A method I've used on dogs and horses to make a tick "let go" is to hold a cotton ball or corner of a rag dipped in white vinegar on top of it. After about 30 seconds it is so desperate to get out of the vinegar that it will come right off. Then KILL IT.
@Yvonne G do you think this method would be ok to use on a tort, as long as it is away from the head?

KBeam

Central Illinois
Hey all,

153bc6p.jpg

That’s an engorged tick.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A method I've used on dogs and horses to make a tick "let go" is to hold a cotton ball or corner of a rag dipped in white vinegar on top of it. After about 30 seconds it is so desperate to get out of the vinegar that it will come right off. Then KILL IT.
@Yvonne G do you think this method would be ok to use on a tort, as long as it is away from the head?
Yeah, I think that would be ok. But we need to know if it is a tick for sure.

NormyMommy

Yeah, I think that would be ok. But we need to know if it is a tick for sure.

Is it worth me trying vinegar tonight? I always have some on hand since I use it to clean, so as long as it's okay for him and won't hurt him, I'd be willing to try it. I'd be comfortable with that versus trying to pull it out. Is there any sure-fire way to tell it's a tick?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it's a tick and the vinegar works, it saves the cost of tomorrow's vet appointment. Vinegar won't be at all harmful to the tortoise. If it IS a tick and he lets go, be sure to disinfect the area he was biting.

NormyMommy

If it's a tick and the vinegar works, it saves the cost of tomorrow's vet appointment. Vinegar won't be at all harmful to the tortoise. If it IS a tick and he lets go, be sure to disinfect the area he was biting.

What's the best thing to use to disinfect it? We rescued him just a little over a year and a half ago, and this is the first time he's ever had any sort of injury, so I'm new to what all is and isn't harmful to their little bodies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

And if it is a tick...burn it and smear its little corpse....ugh

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
I live in Los Angeles n my pit bull would sometimes get ticks on her, I would remove it with debit card or I'D card. Heard killing it with anything will risk it dying latched on. Tweezers can rip the head off and leave it attached. I would scrape it with card softy. Make sure it's a tick tho first lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What's the best thing to use to disinfect it? We rescued him just a little over a year and a half ago, and this is the first time he's ever had any sort of injury, so I'm new to what all is and isn't harmful to their little bodies.
peroxide, chlorhedine, alchohol. . . anything you would use on your human child is safe to use on your tortoise.