Burmese Star babies

Pattjunior

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Coral, Florida
Hey everyone! After a few months of read this forum, I finally made an account. I’m here for advice and to help out others. I bred RFT previous now I am testing my luck with Burmese Stars. I have 1 CB 2021 36g, I’m getting another delivered Tuesday. This one is 70g. I’m looking for advice to be successful in breading these beautiful torts. I bought babies for the time being as I am some what strapped for space. I am building a house next year that will allow me to raise them completely out doors. The circled tort is the one arriving Tuesday.

Attachments

• F25D709B-3435-40A7-910A-6923507FE1AF.jpeg
    F25D709B-3435-40A7-910A-6923507FE1AF.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 37
  • 86A59448-BE31-4EB0-8114-C9FA1FE5160E.jpeg
    86A59448-BE31-4EB0-8114-C9FA1FE5160E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • 8F29CB64-30C2-4B2A-9455-E283B4CDE50B.jpeg
    8F29CB64-30C2-4B2A-9455-E283B4CDE50B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • 9A28C24C-FC7E-468B-AFA7-3549A06DA19E.jpeg
    9A28C24C-FC7E-468B-AFA7-3549A06DA19E.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 39

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
First is how do the breeders raise them? No closed chamber with the right heat and humidity then NOPE

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good luck with your new endeavor! and Welcome to the Forum!!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Welcome to the forum! Burmese Stars are one of my favorite tortoises. You will love working with them.

Have you read our care sheets on how to raise a star tortoise?

Once you have read these, more specific questions can help us give you better answers.

First of all, I would not recommend raising them outdoors. They will do much better their first 2 years if you raise them in a closed chamber indoors in a much more controlled environment. Although the climate in Florida is good for tortoises in general, being able to provide the exact conditions and microclimates a baby tortoise needs in an outdoor pen is difficult. To properly raise one outdoors, you would not see it for weeks on end. They would be hiding under plant cover they could also eat. Tempting them to come out to a pile of food exposes them to elements they would not be in if successful in the wild as babies. They will do much better indoors.

Read the care guides linked above and come back with all the questions you may have.

Enjoy your tortoises!

Pattjunior

Cape Coral, Florida
Welcome to the forum! Burmese Stars are one of my favorite tortoises. You will love working with them.

Have you read our care sheets on how to raise a star tortoise?

Once you have read these, more specific questions can help us give you better answers.

First of all, I would not recommend raising them outdoors. They will do much better their first 2 years if you raise them in a closed chamber indoors in a much more controlled environment. Although the climate in Florida is good for tortoises in general, being able to provide the exact conditions and microclimates a baby tortoise needs in an outdoor pen is difficult. To properly raise one outdoors, you would not see it for weeks on end. They would be hiding under plant cover they could also eat. Tempting them to come out to a pile of food exposes them to elements they would not be in if successful in the wild as babies. They will do much better indoors.

Read the care guides linked above and come back with all the questions you may have.

Enjoy your tortoises!
Thank you very much for the links, I’m still a little ways out from having the house completed and being able to build an out door enclosure. I would say by the time everything is said and done it will be closer to 3 years.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Outdoors with damp cypress mulch. Brought in at night with a CHE.
Where? This is not good, but might be survivable in FL, but not good if they are from a dry climate. Starting with healthy, well started, well hydrated babies is key. Outside all day is not good for babies of any species. Not in any climate.

Mark and I both breed lots of Burmese stars if you want more in the future.

Another point to be aware of is that many breeders will say "incubated for female" to sell more. The truth is that no one knows what the temperatures for that are with this species. The majority of those incubate for female end up male. I bought 14 that were all incubated for female and ended up with 8 males. My buddy Gus here on the forum bought 15 incubated for female and ended up 15 males. The moral of the story is: Buy a bunch if you want to end up with a group of females.

I hope you have lots of questions. This has become one of my favorite species. They are likable for many reasons and just wonderful, fun, and easy to work with.

IMG_2285.jpg