Burmese Stars hatching!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenS

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
3rd clutch female 1 hatching 7 11 13.JPG:)This is a 3rd. clutch from one of our females that started hatching on 7-11-13. 3 out of the egg, 1 with its head out and 6 more that just started to crack their eggs this morning! Just love these guys!! It NEVER get old!! Also we have another clutch of our Indian stars that started to hatch today as well!!:) Its a good day!!:)

Last edited by a moderator:

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
I maintain all of my tortoises indoors 365 days a year! So , yes all my animals are breeding, nesting indoors. It takes a lot to breed Burmese stars indoors as well as my Indians. They are keep in my environment that I control all year long. (Temps,humidity,rain showers, ect.

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
wellington said:
Congrats. So cute. Do they ever get outside? I would love to see your set up too.

My set-ups are pretty simple. 4x8 enclosures that I Built. They have 14in sides. On one end is the nesting area. I cut the floor out and build a box that is 4 foot wide and it comes off the wall about 30 inchs. It is level with the floor. I use a topsoil/peat/sand mixture for the nesting area. I have the heat lamp right over the nesting area. I also use a 4 foot shop light, Zoo Med 10.0 T5 Bulbs over each enclosuer. The other end is the "COOL" end and I have a cover over that end that they go under and hide. I keep 2.1 Adults in this setup and it works great. My entire room is on its own heat/AC source and I have the temps set for day time highs and night time lows. I change this with the season, in which I created. I also have the humdity set at differents % throughout the year, as well as a Misting system set-up that is also a very important element. It has taken many years of figuring out what works. I keep my Indian stars the same way as the burmese just different substrate. Cypress mulch for the Burmese and Aspen for the Indians. Temps ,Humidity are the same for both species.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Ken, they were outside for 2 days this summer so that means they will be indoors 363 days this year. lol

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
skottip said:
Ken, they were outside for 2 days this summer so that means they will be indoors 363 days this year. lol

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ansh

5 Year Member
Cambridge, UK
Hi Ken. Do you have any experience with coco coir as substrate? I've been using it recently and my stars seem to like it, but just wondered what you felt about it.

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
Ansh, I have never used coco fiber. But I do know a few friends that use it on stars,radiateds and they love it. So I'm sure it will be just fine. I use cypress mulch with my Burmese stars and I use aspen shavings for my Indian groups. This is what has worked great for me and I am one, that always say " if it works,leave good alone". IMO. Ken

Ansh

5 Year Member
Cambridge, UK
KenS said:
Ansh, I have never used coco fiber. But I do know a few friends that use it on stars,radiateds and they love it. So I'm sure it will be just fine. I use cypress mulch with my Burmese stars and I use aspen shavings for my Indian groups. This is what has worked great for me and I am one, that always say " if it works,leave good alone". IMO. Ken

Sound advice. Thanks!

If only I lived on the other side of the pond, I would have begged you to save a couple for me!! You don't know of any Burmese Star breeders in the UK do you?

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
Ansh said:
KenS said:

Sound advice. Thanks!

If only I lived on the other side of the pond, I would have begged you to save a couple for me!! You don't know of any Burmese Star breeders in the UK do you?

I am sorry, but I do not know anyone who is producing Burmese stars over in your neck of the woods. Wish I could have helped!!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
This is so awesome Ken! It is always so refreshing for me to see chelonian breeders getting it done up here in the bitter northeast. That, of course, is an understatement, as you are not merely getting it done there. Platynota are one of those species that just doesn't get any better. I have had a huge love for them since I saw a bunch of hatchlings at the NRBE. What amazing animals. Please keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.