Burning Smell from Shell?

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hello! So I was scrubbing my Sulcata’s shell and noticed that her shell had like a faint burning smell to it. I couldn’t find anything online about it, so I thought I’d post it here. I use a SolarGlo bulb, I think it’s one wattage down from the highest they offer. Her heat lamp is 14 inches away from her bedding. I have moss that I wet in her hide. There is also not signs of rot, but she does have slight pyramiding, which I have been addressing with an enclosed hide, daily soaks, and a humidifier which fogs a few times a day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The heat/light should be at LEAST 12" away from the top of the tortoise shell, not from the bedding.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh! So would it be better if it was closer to 24” away from the shell?
I don't know where you get that. It's supposed to be AT LEAST 12" away from the top of the shell. You have to raise or lower it to reach the temperature you're going for, but no closer than 12"

Pennsylvania
Ok. Thanks. I didn’t know if 12” was the minimum, and that a taller height would be recommended. But it’s good to know to go by the temperature.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Sounds like you need to post some pictures of your enclosure, tortoise and lights. We can help you get things set up the right way. Have you read the Sulcata care sheets yet? Maybe if not, you should read them and come back with any questions

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
To expand on what Yvonne said, you should set the height of your basking bulb such that the temperature at carapace height is correct for your species and its age, and I would suggest the basking area be at least as big as the tortoise. Avoid small hot spots. Read the sulcata care sheet, but if you get the basking area temp to around 105 - 110f, you will be close.

If you don't already have one, get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMI632G/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Absolutely critical to owning tortoises.

Read this too: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/baskinghealth.html