Burrow Rained Out

Luvanrs50

Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
So our 3 year old Sully Spots just made his first burrow this summer. He’s been working on it daily and has gotten it about 3 feet deep. Well we just had our first heavy rain and poor thing got flooded. We went dressed in rain coats to check on him cause it was storming really bad. When we checked on him all you could see was just a smidgen of his shell and the tip of his nose. I freaked out and made my husband pull him out. I’m wondering would he have been fine submerged like that? Here are pics of his flooded burrow and him returning to check out the damage after the rain ended. IMG_5813.jpgIMG_5814.jpg

SulcatAZer

Buckeye, Arizona
So our 3 year old Sully Spots just made his first burrow this summer. He’s been working on it daily and has gotten it about 3 feet deep. Well we just had our first heavy rain and poor thing got flooded. We went dressed in rain coats to check on him cause it was storming really bad. When we checked on him all you could see was just a smidgen of his shell and the tip of his nose. I freaked out and made my husband pull him out. I’m wondering would he have been fine submerged like that? Here are pics of his flooded burrow and him returning to check out the damage after the rain ended. View attachment 246620View attachment 246621
I'm sure he enjoyed the spa time. I recently noticed one females burrow heading straight toward the deeper established burrow of another.. so I needed to stop that dig. I flooded it with hose water, and she finally walked out... after languishing with just the tip of her nose out for the longest time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, they should not be left in a flooded burrow. Very dangerous. Many don't burrow if they have a proper hide that they like. You may want to consider blocking the burrow and try making her happy with a hide. In fact a lot of members never let their tortoises sleep outside at night. They lock them up for the night in night boxes or hides.

Luvanrs50

South Louisiana
No, they should not be left in a flooded burrow. Very dangerous. Many don't burrow if they have a proper hide that they like. You may want to consider blocking the burrow and try making her happy with a hide. In fact a lot of members never let their tortoises sleep outside at night. They lock them up for the night in night boxes or hides.

Thank you, my instinct was too move him so I’m glad I did. It appears to be collapsing as the water retreats so we will more than likely fill it it. He has two dog igloos that he’s loved and used up until the beginning of the summer, we’ll try to encourage him to go back into those.