Burrow temps

Camdens tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
Building an outdoor enclosure for my sulcata and wondering what the average temps should be in a burrow? I'm in florida so it's hot and humid. He will have lots of shade but want to be sure he has a place so he won't overheat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Building an outdoor enclosure for my sulcata and wondering what the average temps should be in a burrow? I'm in florida so it's hot and humid. He will have lots of shade but want to be sure he has a place so he won't overheat.

In summer, when daytime highs are always near 100 here, I don't heat it at all. In early spring, late fall and winter, I make sure it stays around 80. When we have cold winter spells and daytime highs are staying in the low 60's or high 50's, I bump night box temps up to 85-86. These numbers have been working for me for years, and they make sense to me.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
In summer, Charlie prefers not to spend time in his nightbox. I only heat it during the cold seasons. I thought he might want to come up on the cool cement of the patio but he doesn't. He would rather sit in a shallow dug out in the mud or an underground burrow if he gets around to digging one this year.

Camdens tortoise

5 Year Member
Tampa, FL
I am planning on putting a night box and a burrow in the enclosure but not a full underground burrow. I bought a really big clay pot and I'm going to half sink it I just don't know what the temperature should be in there? I want to be sure it gets cool enough for him . I think I'm pretty clear on the night box

Camdens tortoise

5 Year Member
Tampa, FL
I was also thinking of putting coco choir in the burrow but I wasn't sure if the burrow should be more moist or dry?